incorrect definition of hysterisis

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_8/12.html

the feedback article was very useful , thanks. But you should correct the comment at the bottom on the meaning of hysterisis, which in no way refers to latching or extreme values as indicated.

Rather it means that a property retains an influence from a previous state.

thx

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
In the context of this section, the "latching" concept from one extreme to another is a result of the saturation characteristic of hysteresis at its extremes. So whilst I agree that hysteresis also refers to "retaining an influence from a previous state" it is not incorrect written in its context. The use of the word "latching" is not readily associated with physics definitions of hysteresis, but is more an electronics term.

I'd be interested in knowing what others think on this.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Latching applies to a digital device (where transistors are used in saturation - or where relays are used as itselves). There are millions of examples in the world where hysteresis does not refer to "latching". For example, a sand bucket has hysteresis, but has millions of states of hysteresis. The term "latching" would be only appropriate for two state system that retains the state corresponding to the previous "action".

So I agree with Dave. The definition could not be more accurate.