Incorrect appearance of buttons on dropdown

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tjohnson, Jan 30, 2015.

1. tjohnson

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Recently I noticed a minor appearance problem on this forum:
    button_hover.png
    The %username%, Inbox, and Alerts buttons all show in white and black after I click on them.

I only started seeing this behavior about one or two weeks ago. Before that, the buttons were a nice blue gradient after clicking on them, as expected. It seemed like the problem started happening right around the time I updated Flash Player to version 16.0.0.287. However, I don't think it's related to Flash, since I've observed it on Fedora Linux (for which Adobe now only releases security updates to Flash) as well as Windows XP and Windows 8.1.

2. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Everything seems to work fine on chromium-browser.

3. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Have you tried clearing your cache?

4. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    Hmm, I wonder if it's a browser issue then. I forgot to mention that I'm using Firefox on all 3 PCs where I observed the behavior.

5. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I've run CCleaner, which should have done that.

I just tried it in IE, which had the same problem. AAC wouldn't have been in IE's cache, since I almost never use IE and never loaded AAC in it before.

6. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Try manually.

In fact, if that still doesn't work, make a copy (!!!) of your profile directory, then delete it and restart the browser.

You'll lose everything (thus, the copy) but it will indicate whether or not your installation is "dirty".

7. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Just confirmed everything looks fine on Firefox under Ubuntu 14.04.

8. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I tried that, but it still didn't work. Like I said, I also tried it in IE, which I am certain didn't have AAC in its cache, and it didn't work there either.

If you're not seeing the problem, I wonder if it could be Flash-related? Are you using the very latest version 16.0.0.296 (or the one before that, .287)?

9. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    No, it doesn't seem Flash-related, either. I just tried disabling Flash Player in Firefox, and still had the problem. This seems weird.

10. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    No clue. And I'm too tired to look.

In fact, I wasn't even aware this site used flash.

11. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I think its mainly for the attachment uploader, so it probably wouldn't affect this. Have you updated Flash Player in the past two or three weeks? If not, you probably have an old version. You can easily check your version at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html (just click the "Check Now" button). If you have an old version, you should consider updating, since some critical security vulnerabilities were fixed. Just to be sure, could you try clearing your cache if you haven't already?

Since I didn't have this problem until just a week or two ago, perhaps a moderator would know of a change made recently to the forum that might have caused it?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  12. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    If the updates have been released, they would have already been installed. If not, they will be. I let the distro take care of the updates for me.

If it's all the same, I'd rather not -- I'd prefer to keep things working.

13. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I understand. The beauty of Linux.:p

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have noticed the white spot, Vista with Firefox, but I didn't think it was a problem because the button always works when I need it.

Blissful ignorance?

15. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I just noticed something else that seems to have changed about a week or two ago. I thought there used to be an option to choose what theme to use for viewing the forum, but I can't find it now. I was using the default theme, but I wondered if changing to another theme and then changing back would fix the issue.

Where can I find the option to change the theme? Maybe I'm just missing it, but I'm wondering if this is related.

16. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Theme? I noted in another post that on mobile, the sub-tabs were almost unreadable. That could be related to a theme issue as well.

17. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    As I said, it's minor, but nonetheless it's a bug. Since I'm not the only one seeing it, and disabling Flash Player didn't have any effect, I assume that probably the reason why joeyd999 isn't seeing this is because he hasn't cleared his cache for a while.

To me, the incorrect white/black appearance looks somewhat like a transparency layer. @Moderators: Was something changed with the forum software or the default theme recently?

I still haven't found where I can change the theme on this forum? I was sure I saw an option to do that a week or so ago.

18. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    I use Maxthon and chrome on XP. Both working fine.

Allen

19. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I can not see the problem in chromium, firefox, qupzilla, konquerer and opera on my linux machine.

What operating system do you use and wich browser?

Bertus

20. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    That's odd. I've seen it in Firefox on Windows XP SP3 (and also Windows 8.1 and Fedora 20, I think). In addition, it happens in IE8 on WinXP.