Inclinometer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by studiot, Feb 10, 2009.

1. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    I have received the following query. There is no reason for not publishing for everyone to see and comment on. However please try to make comments helpful, not a slanging match as this is a serious project.

I don't think that a weight applied to a pot shaft is a good way to go. The shaft friction is unpredictable. The mechanical design to cause rotation to the same point for a given angle and to prevent the weight pulling the shaft right round is difficult.

If you want to build your own inclinometer I would suggest investigating either toothed / perforated wheels on a common shaft, which you can register with a light beam. This is a transmissive system. Or you could go for a reflective system reflecting from coded patterns painted on a wheel. For an analog system if you painted a spiral of increasing brush-width on a wheel and measured the width where it intersected a fixed beam of light this would be proportional to rotation.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Use a curved traugh with two strips side by side on the bottom , one metalic, other resistive[ paper strip covered with pencil lead?] Place a round ball [ or dollop of mercury ] in traugh. Apply voltage to ends of strip, metalic contact becomes the slider . Bias one input of an OP AMP to = level , othrr to ct. tap. Adj gain to convenient level; output porportional to +-slope. Might try a nicrome wire & a copper one of same guage.

4. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    You could also use a variable reluctance scheme....a couple of magnets with a moveable plate. Probably a bit more mechanical than the optical encoder, but truly analog. :)

eric

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If you can find Hall effect sensors with an unmodified output so their response is in proportion to the intensity of a magnetic field, then a small magnet hung on a string equidistant from 3 or 4 sensors should give good results. Take some calibrating, though.

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

I didn't know mercury came in "dollop" form. :D

7. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    One dollop = mercury from 3, 96 in. flourescent lamps, or what we could get from a broken thermometer.