Inclinometer for my Jeep

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
An accelerometer can tell you when something is tilting but once it's stopped tilting as far as the accelerometer is concerned the platform is level again.
You probably want to read up a little on that. An accelerometer (ofbthe types we are talking about here) sense gravity when in stationary States.

So the other poster is correct.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
The smartphone idea is great if you already have one

Otherwise, building one is fairly trivial if you are familiar with mcus.

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
You have that incorrect.
A gyroscope is an inertial device and does not use (or depend) upon gravity.
An accelerometer does respond to gravity or acceleration forces and can't differentiate between them.
(In the physics world it's impossible to differentiate between gravitational force and the force from constant acceleration).
Here we want to detect the horizontal component of gravity due to the tilt, which a 3-axis accelerometer can do.
There's no particular need for a gyro to accomplish that task.
Ahh ok thanks for setting me straight on that :) I wasn't aware that they were as versatile as they are. So you can get orientation and rotation from just multiple axis accelerometers?

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
In my head I was picturing an attitude indicator but I neglected to realise that it is weighted off centre to keep one axis perpendicular to the surface of the earth

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Ahh ok thanks for setting me straight on that :) I wasn't aware that they were as versatile as they are. So you can get orientation and rotation from just multiple axis accelerometers?
You get orientation from a accelerometer if you are in a static (non-moving) environment.
A gryo will give you (relative) orientation independent of acceleration or gravity.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
. So you can get orientation and rotation from just multiple axis accelerometers?
Yes, but with some limitations. They are really gravity sensors.

They typically suffer from drifting, stress, and don't do a good job measuring absolute orientation - you will need to reset them for example.

Thus, gryos and mag sensors come in. They complement each other.

Kentil

Joined Jan 29, 2016
Thanks all for interesting thinking about accelerometers and others!
Of course I have considered to use my smartphone, I do have the app but you know, there is always room for another funny gadget :) ... And, the smartphone app does not have the function of warning when reaching the critical level of pitch or roll. So, if there is a reasonable way to construct an inclinometer, I am still very interested if someone has a practical solution on this. I have not worked with Arduino but understand the advantage in using it. Especially if one wants not only the readings of the angles of pitch and roll, the possibility to have a smart (audible?) warning.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
So, if there is a reasonable way to construct an inclinometer, I am still very interested if someone has a practical solution on this. I have not worked with Arduino but understand the advantage in using it. Especially if one wants not only the readings of the angles of pitch and roll, the possibility to have a smart (audible?) warning.
I have tried to give you good, practical advice and you respond by ignoring it and coming out with the underlined comment. That is an insult.

1) I have made exactly the device that you asked about doing. The fact that it was used on a tractor instead of a Jeep is unimportant. My output was in degrees tilt, but changing to led's would be very simple.

2) Yes, I used a microprocessor, but that was not a requirement. I asked about your programming experience specifically because with the chip I used, it is not necessary to use an MCU. You can use a few resistors, a capacitor, and one comparator for each LED you want in the display. You ignored my request for additional information.

Good luck.

John

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I have tried to give you good, practical advice and you respond by ignoring it and coming out with the underlined comment. That is an insult.

1) I have made exactly the device that you asked about doing. The fact that it was used on a tractor instead of a Jeep is unimportant. My output was in degrees tilt, but changing to led's would be very simple.

2) Yes, I used a microprocessor, but that was not a requirement. I asked about your programming experience specifically because with the chip I used, it is not necessary to use an MCU. You can use a few resistors, a capacitor, and one comparator for each LED you want in the display. You ignored my request for additional information.

Good luck.

John

That was literally the OPs first reply after we've all had our input, I'm sure he just overlooked it because of the interest in the thread. I doubt any insult was intended at all :)