Inappropriate tools

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by MrChips, Jan 9, 2014.

1. MrChips

Thread Starter Moderator

Oct 2, 2009
    In Volume VI - Experiments >> Introduction
    Setting up a home lab

There are photographs for some most inappropriate tools for the hobbyist.

Three essential tools would be

1) small needle nose pliers
    2) small side cutters
    3) wire stripper

add to that

set of small flat and Philips screw drivers.

The slip-joint pliers and adjustable-joint pliers are for pulling teeth from a bull. Way too big for the electronics hobbyist.

Along with the large utility knife, a small XACTO knife would also be more useful.

I had one of those hand drills when I was a kid, now obsolete. Get a power drill.

Wire wrap wire is great but wire-wrapping is hardly used except for wire-wrapping. This wire wrap tool is more appropriate:

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    I use tweezers a lot. Different type of tweezers.

... and solder wick ...
  3. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    To build and repair electronics, my 72 year old eyeballs make one of these indispensible:

4. MrChips

Thread Starter Moderator

Oct 2, 2009
    Good suggestions.

Someone should review that chapter and update the photos.

What is the process/procedure for doing this?
  5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Eh... it's kind of... not very standardized.

We try to document the error and suggestions as clearly as we can here.
    Then, we link it to this thread (, which needs to be updated and renewed.

From then on, Dennis Crunkilton edits them in the e-book, at about twice a year.

Bill Marsden remembers the procedure a bit better than me.
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Dcrunkilton is the editor of the e-book. However, he generally does not write chapters other than basic corrections.

This is why we have a separate forum for our writers, though I tend to put my submissions out here for public viewing.

This year I have not been the help I have in the past for Dennis, which I do regret. It has been an emotional coaster type of year for me, though I did create a thread where we can put in basic corrections for Dennis to make.

Jrap then has to update the AAC version of the book, which can occasionally be problematic, though it does seem to happen in the end.

So the short answer is, rewrite the article to correct what you think is off, then submit it to Dennis.