In the My Computer Shortcuts do not work.

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by MrCarlos, Jul 18, 2014.

1. MrCarlos

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Hi there.

I hope someone can help me solve the problem I have with my LapTop.

A while ago I had a virus on my PC; 's got vaccinated but after that, I have shortcuts on the desktop (Desk) no longer worked.

They lost the link to the executable file that had. Even the figure of the icon changed, they are now like a small sheet of paper.

I have tried in vain to fix but I have not been successful.

Anyone know how to fix this ?

2. Natakel

Oct 11, 2008
    It would help to know what Operating System you are running. Since you were infected with a virus, it is possible that you might have to reinstall some programs that the virus damaged before it was removed from your PC. That would explain why your old shortcuts are not working properly.

Pretty much for any version of Windows you can try the following:

--If these are shortcuts to programs that are still installed on the computer, about the easiest way to obtain working shortcuts is by double clicking on the "My Computer" or "Computer", then double clicking on the C: drive.

--Scroll through the list and find the "Programs" folder (if you are using a 64bit Operating System, there will be two Program folders - one that has an X86 after it). Double click a folder.

--Find the specific program folder you want to create a shortcut to, and double click it. In the list of files, find the .EXE file for the program, and right click it. From the list that appears, select "Send To" and then "Desktop (create shortcut)"

That's it. Delete the old shortcuts. You can create shortcuts to individual files also, but the computer might not know what to do with them.

3. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Thanks for your answer Natakel.

The operating system on my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic 64 Bits.

I did this that you recommend Me.

--Find the specific program folder you want to create a shortcut to, and double click it. In the list of files, find the .EXE file for the program, and right click it. From the list that appears, select "Send To" and then "Desktop (create shortcut)"

I did it with the Adobe Reader executable file.
    Appeared the shortcut on the desktop but if I give double clicking on it, does nothing.
    Even the icon appears as a sheet of paper.

Thanks anyway.

What I believe is that the virus deleted a file type DLL.
    A guess with that file type DLL, were linked executables files.

4. Natakel

Oct 11, 2008
    Hmmm. Sounds like you have an issue with a system file, at that. About the easiest way to approach this is to try Microsoft's Fix-It tools on their website.

Google Fix broken desktop shortcuts and common system maintenance tasks and it should give you a shortcut to the proper page. I've had pretty good luck with their tools, especially with Vista and Windows 7. Worth a try.

5. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello Natakel.

Yes, indeed, Microsoft helped me some time ago with another problem I had.
    I will make an attempt.

I'll make a good written extensively describe my problem and what I did not achieve a satisfactory solution for me.

6. PatM

Dec 31, 2010
    Have you just tried a "System Restore" to a earlier date ?

7. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello PatM:

Yes I already did.
    The problem remains the same.

8. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Could be a Virus.

9. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello R!F@@.

Well, it was a virus, I hope that at this moment I have no virus.

From the day that the virus appeared, every morning I make a complete check of my PC, in Windows and in the beginning, when you first turn it on.
    Antivirus report me "No problems"

But this process takes more than 3 hours!

Let me ask, Make an attempt with Microsoft.

10. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    If your PC was infected, the virus could also have infected your anti-virus program so that it always reports no problems!

Google for bootable anti-virus CD. You need to boot from another device, that can not be infected (CD).

Here's an example of one. Just create the CD on a friends PC. There are also bootable USB versions.

You'll also have to know how to change the boot device in your systems BIOS.

MrCarlos likes this.
  11. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello djsfantasi

Already done:
    -You need to boot from another device.-

When I bought my PC, about five years ago, I did what needed to start my PC from the CD for these particular cases, and other cases of course.

I take a look at the link - one. -that you enclose me.

I took some time to perform this procedure.
    however I will.

I am also connecting with Microsoft.

Thank you very much.

12. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    Forget the shortcut for now. Does the program run from its own directory? If it does not, no shortcut is going to work.
    If the computer has been vaccinated (virus removed), re install the program.

Ramesh

13. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello Ramussons.

You say:
    Does the program run from its own directory?
    Yes, All programs run from its own directory.

The condition
    if it does not, no shortcut is going to work.
    If the computer has been vaccinated (virus removed), re install the program.
    Yes, My computer has been vaccinated (virus removed).

But either way, I reinstalled some programs and persistently shortcut on the desktop does not work.
    Including the Icon, does not appear with the image symbol that identifies the program but appears as a small sheet of paper.

I Believe that a DLL file type disappeared from my PC. or it was modified by the virus.
    The One that LINK all *.LNK (shortcuts) with its respective *.Exe file.
    But I do not know which one is it.
    Probably the shell32.dll that were modified by the virus.

Well, I sincerely thank all who have participated, but apparently all that have recommended me, I have done.

Icons (shortcuts) on the desktop are not my priority now. would be perfect if it functioned.

Another thing I do: I select an executable file with the right mouse button, I choose to put it in the Quick Launch.
    It does; I will give double Click on the icon and run that executable file.

I really appreciate all the help you have given me.

14. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Install OS fresh and get a good antivirus program and keep it updated.

15. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hi all

I really appreciate the suggestions you gave me to fix the problem I had with the shortcuts on my PC.

I was trying to connect with Microsoft but always appeared a screen telling me to wait to have a technician available to help me. After a long time Respond said no, tried after a while.

I watched several videos and almost all suggest that releases the Windows registry with REGEDT32.EXE as follows:

Running the program reaches here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    I open it up to the folder .Lnk
    > Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Explorer -> FileExts -> .Lnk
    Coming out here, you should delete the unregister "UserChoice" If there is within the folder .Lnk
    But did not work the shortcuts.
    Right there other things that is recommend in the videos but nothing, everything stayed the same.
    When you finish modifying the Windows registry must restart the PC.

I found several softwares googling; but it would not corrected my problem.
    Those who served me were the ones I attached the link where I went down.

SUPPERAntiSpywarw. It found 192 problems with virus and removed.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Tweaking.com-RepairlnkFileAssociation.exe, which corrected all the shortcuts on my LapTop.
    http://www.exedb.com/proceso/tweaking-com-repairlnkfileassociation-exe.html

Thank you sincerely

16. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    howdy MrCarlos,

you may have a root kit virus, this would be why your antivirus is reporting ok. its actually been disabled.

personally unless you know exactly what you are doing with the registry, my advice would be to stay out of it. the whole operating system can be wrecked by just deleting the wrong bits (accidentally or intentionally).

the virus has changed some settings and removing them has caused more problems.

one software i use quite often that fixes 99% of windows virus related issues is called combofix. this also restores many default settings back to original settings.

download is here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

download and run. follow all instructions it gives you, if it wants to install microsoft recover console, do it as this aids any difficult recovery issues. this software also removes any root kit viruses it finds. whole process should take less than 30 minutes.

let me know how you go.

17. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello tom_s

My LapTop is working quite well now.
    But I will make a test with this software you recommend me.
    When you have some results I will notify you.

sincerely thank

18. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    one thing i did forget to mention, the software is free (no charge)