In the hospital

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Do some recipe checking, there are plenty of really good (and of course healthy) that can be prepared pretty quickly. Heck, got a wok? :) Seriously though, while time is a factor you can work around that. This coming from a guy who will be injecting some chicken breast to grill later today. :) I am right at home in the kitchen, hell my mom was Italian. I am also blessed with a great wife who enjoys cooking and with us both retired time is never an issue. Also, ask while at the clinic to talk with a dietician about cooking healthy and quick meals. They have tons of literature and free stuff, just ask. Like I said, they were the best people I ever had surround me.

Ron

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
Same here; my Dulara is costly but the lung Doc just handed me a year supply. I need to go back and get them to do a stress test on my heart; not sure if I can do cardio or not.

I've been in the gym for my torn ACL; Physical Therapy. Luckily it was a minor tear; you can strengthen the muscles around the knee; seems to be working without surgery. I still have eight weeks before another evaluation to determine if surgery is required.

kv
My physio (Olympic champ swimmers, Pro rugby) tells me you don't need an ACL if your quads are strong. He works with rugby players that clonk at the knee all the time and keep playing. Look up Gray Cook FMS. Movement quality is king.

Treeman

Joined May 22, 2014
Thanks for the support Ron.

Yep already made changes and more are planned. Watching the fat and salt intake. Plan to make more.

The problem is how to cook on a busy schedule. By the time I get home from work, go work out at the gym or ride my bicycle, it does not leave much time for cooking.
Here's my latest diet advice from higher sources. I try and stick to thjis and never feel bloated now and have buckets of energy.
1. Ditch the processed carbs as much as poss. (pasta bread rice potatoes sugar) substitute steamed veg (parsnip, carrot, sw. Potatoes greens). There is enough carb in the veg to process your protein.
2. Drink 2 litres water per day. Filter it.
3. Eggs and cholesterol - Cholesterol is linked to blood serum not diet. Serum good, plenty eggs good.
4. Eat raw food with your meat/fish. Salad is quick, and healthy. Make your own dressing in 30 secs. Olive oil,balsamic,1Tsp mustard. (keep in jar)
5. Contrary to belief fat is your friend. Its the carbs that pack on the body fat. Olive oil is great, avocado is great. Bacon and lard not so great.
6. Eat 5-7 times a day:
Breakfast: Water water water Eggs Avocado Tomatoes Rye bread Porridge (Scottish Jewish)
Nibbles: Nuts Fruit water
Lunch: Protein and salad Water
Nibbles: Fruit Nuts Water
Dinner: Salad/steamed veg and protein (a little lighter than lunch) Water
Nibbles: Fruit. Water
7. Do extension exercises to counteract all the flexion in a modern life.
8. Food doesn't grow in a box (but it can in a bag if you leave it long enough LOL)

Tea is full of fluoride a neuro toxin 10 cups a day will dehydrate you. Coffee is yummy and required who would give that up in a hurry?

Cooking time minimal. Preparation a bit more effort so prepare ahead a bit.

The 4th best diet in the world is the 7th day Adventist. Mediterranean and Asian are high up there too. US and UK pretty lowly.

Diet is what goes in your mouth. When you put Diet in your mouth you are chemically drugging yourself. Always choose best quality drugs!
Never mourn the loss of rubbish. Enjoy food not eating.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
By the time I get home from work, go work out at the gym or ride my bicycle, it does not leave much time for cooking.
Don't despair - that's something you can change. A bit of experience and focused learning will open up your options. It takes attention to all phases of food; watching the ads, learning the best places to buy various items (I have one store for produce, but use other stores for meats), knowing what you can make from whatever is in-season and on sale, how much to have on hand, what spices and staples to have on hand at all times, and so on. There's no way to learn all this except by doing it, and paying attention so that you can learn faster.

Over time you may find you enjoy the end-to-end process, and you'll find that you make time to cook and eat well. Cooking as recreation. I enjoying cooking for friends and family, but I'll admit that I rarely put as much effort into cooking for just myself.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Spinnaker.

I made a lifestyle change this year too; I include exercise now. I thought once you reach 50 years old; your body looses muscle 10% per year thereafter. No one told me I can get the muscle back if I exercise?

My diet has been pretty good over the years; but exercise was not always a routine for me; especially in the last 8 years or so. I was far to busy; not enough time. Besides what would it matter if I'm loosing 10% a year anyway.

Now I know if I don't exercise; I will run out of time regardless; as I fall apart each day.

Funny "Treeman" your diet looks like mine.

Here's my latest diet advice from higher sources. I try and stick to thjis and never feel bloated now and have buckets of energy.
1. Ditch the processed carbs as much as poss. (pasta bread rice potatoes sugar) substitute steamed veg (parsnip, carrot, sw. Potatoes greens). There is enough carb in the veg to process your protein.
2. Drink 2 litres water per day. Filter it.
3. Eggs and cholesterol - Cholesterol is linked to blood serum not diet. Serum good, plenty eggs good.
4. Eat raw food with your meat/fish. Salad is quick, and healthy. Make your own dressing in 30 secs. Olive oil,balsamic,1Tsp mustard. (keep in jar)
5. Contrary to belief fat is your friend. Its the carbs that pack on the body fat. Olive oil is great, avocado is great. Bacon and lard not so great.
6. Eat 5-7 times a day:
Breakfast: Water water water Eggs Avocado Tomatoes Rye bread Porridge (Scottish Jewish)
Nibbles: Nuts Fruit water
Lunch: Protein and salad Water
Nibbles: Fruit Nuts Water
Dinner: Salad/steamed veg and protein (a little lighter than lunch) Water
Nibbles: Fruit. Water
7. Do extension exercises to counteract all the flexion in a modern life.
8. Food doesn't grow in a box (but it can in a bag if you leave it long enough LOL)
I always include a glass of orange juice with my breakfast helps in digestion; protects your good bacteria they say. My Cholesterol appears to be fine even though I haven't stopped eating eggs. 2 eggs on open face dry wheat toast; I don't use fake butter to cook with. I could use grape seed oil as counter measure.

Light dinner as well as eating early not late; gives you time to digest. I eat around 5:30 to 6:00 and don't munch in-between; if I get hungry I drink Water. If I'm still hungry maybe a left over vegetable; I always include salad or vegetables at dinner never any more meat that I can hold in the palm of my hand; breakfast my biggest meal then smaller at lunch and smaller still for dinner.

Been eating this way for years. I will splurge once in a while maybe eating some sausage and cabbage but I always include a fermented product either pickles or sauerkraut.

At 58 this month; I think if I follow this and continue my exercises on my "Total Gym" I can only hope I get another physical as good as the one I received this year.

Spinnaker. Keep up the good work.

kv

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Burger King has a good (dry) and cheap spinach salad if you are in a hurry. I usually eat it without dressing as a snack when I travel.

The mcDonalds salad is full of sweet sauce.

Stay out of your favorite Mexican places downtown and in wexford.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well I am back out again.

Went to the clinic Tuesday night. I was feeling pretty horrible. Woke up Tuesday morning feeling a lot better. Checked into the clinic, got my stress test a did really well. But stress tests will only tell the doc, you have a problem. It does not mean you don't have a problem. So back to the cath lab for another cath and possible stent placement.

The first cath showed I had a blockage right at the top of the artery. So they had no idea what was beyond. The good news is that the blockage at the top is now clear and my atery is in very good health about 75% or more with another blockage at near the end of the artery.

They decieded that since I did so well on my stress tests to just put me on another blood thinner and hopefully some if not all of that additional blockage is cleared. I go back of another cath in 2 months.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Wow, sp, blood thinner!

Did not know that such a thing exist.
My favorite story on blood thinners - Warfarin (Coumadin)

Initially introduced as a pesticide againsts rats and mice.
Overdoses cause internal bleeding. The name sounds like it would be a chemical weapon but it is really sort of an acronym of the organization that funded the research (University of Wisconsin Alumni Research Fund)

After the rat poison was marketed, this happened...

After an incident in 1951, where a US Army inductee unsuccessfully attempted suicide with multiple doses of warfarin in rodenticide and recovered fully after presenting to a hospital, and being treated with vitamin K (by then known as a specific antidote),[68] studies began in the use of warfarin as a therapeutic anticoagulant. It was found to be generally superior to dicoumarol, and in 1954 was approved for medical use in humans. An early recipient of warfarin was US president Dwight Eisenhower, who was prescribed the drug after having a heart attack in 1955.[68]

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
My favorite story on blood thinners - Warfarin (Coumadin)

Initially introduced as a pesticide againsts rats and mice.
Overdoses cause internal bleeding. The name sounds like it would be a chemical weapon but it is really sort of an acronym of the organization that funded the research (University of Wisconsin Alumni Research Fund)

After the rat poison was marketed, this happened...

After an incident in 1951, where a US Army inductee unsuccessfully attempted suicide with multiple doses of warfarin in rodenticide and recovered fully after presenting to a hospital, and being treated with vitamin K (by then known as a specific antidote),[68] studies began in the use of warfarin as a therapeutic anticoagulant. It was found to be generally superior to dicoumarol, and in 1954 was approved for medical use in humans. An early recipient of warfarin was US president Dwight Eisenhower, who was prescribed the drug after having a heart attack in 1955.[68]
Look at that!

Wasn't more or less the same that happened with Sildenafil, initially aimed to something different? Not sure about anyway...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Look at that!

Wasn't more or less the same that happened with Sildenafil, initially aimed to something different? Not sure about anyway...
Yup - but the original application was still a medication. I like the warfarin story because it started as a rat poison before it became a medication.

C64

Joined Mar 22, 2015
Thanks for the support Ron.

Yep already made changes and more are planned. Watching the fat and salt intake. Plan to make more.

The problem is how to cook on a busy schedule. By the time I get home from work, go work out at the gym or ride my bicycle, it does not leave much time for cooking.
I've never had cardiovascular work done, but I've had more than my fair share of hospital visits over the last several years -- you have my sympathies, and hopefully by now you're through the worst of it.

I remember hearing someone say once that eating is like sex: if it's something you plan on doing on a regular basis, you might as well learn to do it properly. Back in college I used to counter my lethargy by only buying raw ingredients at the grocery store, that way if I wanted to eat I had to cook. The great thing about cooking for yourself is you will never again have to eat things you hate -- your family members will be at the mercy of your tastes rather than the other way 'round! (You'll also have direct control over how much fat/salt/etc. goes into your meal, but if you're like me the prospect of going on a relatively benign power trip every evening is far more motivating than eating healthier.)

Pick a variety of cuisine you like and start doing internet searches for reasonably healthy recipes in that vein. The more you cook, the faster the process will get (or at the very least it will feel like it takes less time), and once you begin to understand which seasonings do what and how they interact together to create awesomeness you'll be able to modify recipes that don't quite work for y0u and even go off the script entirely.

Hooray for unsolicited advice!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I like the warfarin story because it started as a rat poison before it became a medication.
and Robaxin started as a roach poison. Now it stops muscle spasms in humans, but obviously not as much as it stops muscle activity in cockroaches. :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thought I would bump this...

Nothing from spinnaker since last Thursday.

kv
You can never guess when.
Today is exactly the 4 month anniversary of the day my business partner of 37 years died.
It was like losing my brother. :(

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Man; I didn't expect that.

Hang in there; hopefully Spinner is ok too. I'm sure he doesn't give 2 shakes what I think; but at least he knows we're pulling for him.

kv