In-Store Video Game Demos/Displays

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
Hey,

Semi-random question, but I've been wanting to know for a while.

In the the 90s and early 00s there were more video game demos and displays in general and electronics stores. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and the only thing out on display was the PS3. K-Mart has zero displays. GameStop has one demo out. Usually, Nintendo if no one else has their products out constantly.
Who determines if there are displays and demos out on the floor anyway? I suppose the store can just tell the vendor that they won't demo anything?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think the systems have been in place long enough to sell themselves these days. I don't think people need to evaluate the console in-store before deciding to purchase it anymore. Its just a given that as soon as the new version comes out, they're buying it. Brand loyalty, monopolies, herd mentality consumers. That, and advertising is so pervasive in every day life, that on the day you go to Walmart, you've probably already seen 20 visual cues for the new xbox which is just or more as effective as putting one on display.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I would imagine store demographics. All our Walmarts and Bestbuys demo all the new systems, ps3,psvita, wii,, XBOX, GB3d(Which is cool) etc....What I find funny is how many of the camera's are broken. They have 100 camera's on display 30 of em work,.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Jim likes to judge a laptops real ruggedness by how many keys are broken off at Walmart. John Q Public can be a real pain sometimes.