In Search Of An Intermediate Electronics Books

sandraos

Joined Jun 8, 2009
Recently I've become interested in electronics as a hobby. I made room in the garage for a workbench, bought the necessary tools, and components.
I read the following books: [links are to Amazon.com]
Electronics for Dummies McComb & Boysen
Electronic Projects For Dummies Boysen & Muir
Teach Yourself Electricity And Electronics Gibilisco
Digital Electronics Demystified Predko
The 8051/8052 Microcontroller Steiner
C And The 8051 Schultz

Somehow I feel like I have reached a plateau. Most books are either too elementary or too advanced. That goes for projects online as well. (If I see one more flashing LED I'm going to break my breadboard).

Could someone guide me towards the next step? I love books with practical examples and full schematics. I'm interested in microcontrollers and robotics. Specifically the 8051 and its derivatives. I have been developing software since the mid 80's. The programming part is not a problem.

Thank you for your help

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I wouldn't recommend reading "Digital Electronics Demystified" because it isn't all that easy. You should buy a ARRL Amateur Radio Handbook, they have them on amazon and they explain quite a bit of electronics including RF.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The Forrest Mimms hands on books tend towards beginners, but if you take the time to truely understand a circuit even the simpliest has something to teach. Better yet, take the time to help real beginners, if you want to learn, teach. That and nothing beats hands on, stuff will jump up and surprise you.

I've been surprised how much I've picked up on something as simple as a 555 since I've been to this site and started writing my tutorials. I've found I'm finally not having to buy as many parts nowdays, the bin is full, and if I can think it I can make it.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I wouldn't recommend reading "Digital Electronics Demystified" because it isn't all that easy. You should buy a ARRL Amateur Radio Handbook, they have them on amazon and they explain quite a bit of electronics including RF.
I second the ARRL Handbook. Also "The Art of Electronics" if you can afford it.

eric

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I second the ARRL Handbook. Also "The Art of Electronics" if you can afford it.

eric
Art is great even if a little dated nowadays. I wonder if they ever will get round to publishing the much anticipated 3rd edition.

I'll second the Forrest Mimms books, as many here on AAC will. Forrest has also been known to post here on AAC too.

Dave

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Art is great even if a little dated nowadays.
I'll second that. A great book worth every penny.

Next time when one is in a book store or library, try flipping through a few pages to see for yourself.

I especially loved the feature of "bad circuit design" shown in the book.

Do you have any projects that you are currently working on? If you guide your reading to help you get a specific task completed you may find yourself learning a great deal more than you may imagine.

For example, since you have an interest in robotics, try motor control circuitry... you will not only learn about motors or servos but also about interfacing with a microcontroller, transistors, pulse width modulation, power dissipation, ...

There is plenty of material, and people, out there to help you. If you start to build something and are having trouble, post you schematic here and people will try to help you out.