In need of a 12vdc power supply

Rburk65

Joined May 8, 2013
Hello everyone. Newbie here. Recently built a new shop to spend some retirement time. It has a full attic with a walk up stairway and a 3'x10 trap door to keep in the heat below. Have purchased a 2000# winch to lift and open the trap door. Its supposed to be used on an ATV so it requires 12vdc battery supply with a minimum of 12 Ah. I'd rather not fool with a battery so the question for you gurus is what army options here? Where do I find a power supply to suit my needs and what might it cost me. Thanks ever so much.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Measure the current, if its 12Volts you need then the best solution is an ATX psu readily available to give 12V at high current up-to 22Amps.

Just connect the Green and Black wires together to turn on the Atx and the 12volts output is on the Yellow and Black wires.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Be aware it could require a substantial 12V power supply to over come the startup current,etc....
Hence why a battery might be a better idea..

I've got 12V cordless tools that won't even function with a regular 12V 10A supply instead of the battery.

kutalinelucas

Joined Nov 20, 2007
I second the ATX route...its simply the component which provides power to a PC with easily identifiable voltages of 3.3, 5 and 12V with a substantial current supply. You can pick them up from pretty much any computer store for under 20 quid. They also usually have the facility to leave the source in stand-by mode (like the switch on the front of a PC), saving your electric when the winch isn't in use