In-floor Heating Controller

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Splower, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Splower

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Hello,

I have a simple project to build a In-floor heating controller. I installed in-floor heat to my entire house. What I want to do is set up zones. All my thermostats run on 12Volts DC. I want to have all Thermostats (8 zones) to run to the controller. When the thermostat calls for heat, it will turn on a pump that requires 120V AC (Std house voltage). I can have all pumps wired to the controller as well. I would think that a relay would work best???
    I want to power the controller by plugging into a wall. And also want a LED to indicate if a zone is "On".

Don't know where to start....

Thanks,

Neil

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm a little confused. It sounds to me like you really want to have 8 fully independent systems, each with its own thermostat and pump? When you say "controller", that's a place where all the system controls are housed in one place?

How big are the pumps, in terms of the current, wattage or power rating?

3. williamj

Sep 3, 2009
    Splower,

In all likelyhood your only going to need one pump and eight solenoid valves to operate your system. A call for heat opens the appropriate solenoid valve and starts the pump. If other zones call for heat then the pump remains energized till all calls have been answered.

williamj