In-ear-phones recommendation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MMH, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Hello there!!!

I want to buy a pair of good quality earphones. I don't know which brand to buy. I need the best affordable and best quality ones available. I thought that skullcandy would be my choice but after reading some comments, I realized that it is basically a fashion accessory. I just need affordable price(no more than $32) but very good sound quality and bass. Which will be my "best" deal over here? Can you specify the best i ear-earphone that I can buy within this price?

Fashion doesnt matter, only sound quality and bass does.Thanks!!

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    You haven't specified your location, so results may vary.

I don't think you can expect professional sound quality with in-ear headphones, let alone under $32.

In-ear headphones are ideal as a hands-free device as they are light, grip your ear very well and insulate outside noise quite nicely. But I don't think they are designed for hi-fi audio.

Of course, I could be wrong.

3. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks for answering!!

Sorry, I live in Bangladesh. There is skullcandys available but I am not sure about the rest...

I better clarify myself. The thing that I want is the best in-ear phone that costs at or below $40(sorry, not 32). I need the one having the best bass and the best sound quality at that price. Are you getting me? The best earphone brand at that price.

And I will like you to suggest me both the best in-ear headphone and the best Headphones at that price. I don't need any fashionable one, just the one that gives best audio quality(and bass) and durability at that price. Did you get me? The best one at that price. Thanks!!

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I've got some Sennheiser ear canal headphones that I like. I'm not an audiophile, but they sound crisper and more natural than some other brands I've tried (incuding Skullcandy). The Sennheiser ones were a bit more expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for.

5. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    I doubt that any small ear buds can produce good bass sound because that requires a larger volume of air be moved.

6. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    I use Sennheiser headphones (full sized phones) and they really are the best I have ever heard. I have at least six pairs of headphones and the others just sit in a box now. IMHO, if you are really looking for good sound, you do get what you pay for with them.

7. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Try ear canal headphones. Unlike earbud ones there is actually a seal so they are airtight. The bass is surprising and goes down very low, you get deep bass notes that you would need a decent subwoofer to hear. Another advantage is not much sound escapes into the world to annoy people.

8. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    From what I read and hear other people saying, earbuds are damaging people's hearing.

I was helping someone just today at work with some Noise canceling headphones and FYI you get what you pay for, but these were some an off brand (I Didn't get the name) that competed with "Bose" about $79us.

He thinks there better than most he has tried.

9. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks for answering!!

Alright, so as far as I have understood, full sized headphones produce better sound than those small in-ear-headphones. If that's the case, another question arises. Which headphone should I buy? Which brand? Which model? And can an in-ear-headphone not really produce good quality sound?

And I am sorry about the fact that I can't extend the budget. I am only 14 and I have to depend on my parents to buy me anything, even a candy! My parents will never extend it to over $40. So isn't it possible to get a pretty good quality headphone within that range(it does not have to be the best of the best)? Can you please suggest the best headphone model and brand within that price range? No more price please.

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    You really have to take a chance. Some brands/models will sound good and some sound bad.

Also a lot of devices made for earbuds (MP3 players, 'phones etc) have bass boost incorporated into their circuitry which can give you good bass from the earbuds, or even too much bass.

Seriously, it will be a lucky dip finding great sounding earbuds AND will also depend on the device playing the sound.

I would buy cheapish earbuds ($10?) and if they sound bad try another brand of cheap earbuds.

It's great if you can try the earbuds (on your device) before buying, but these days that is almost impossible.

MMH likes this.
  11. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks for answering!!

Actually, I listen to music on my iPod shuffle(the small one-4th gen). If it does have bass boost, then don't you think I will be able to hear even More bass on a full sized headphone? In-ear ones are uncomfortable, so I am planning to buy a headphone. Many of you have said that the headphones provide better bass since a lot of air needs to be moved. So I really feel that the I should buy a good quality headphone as I have already many pairs of in ear ones(most are off-brands).

My question again is, which is going to be the best brand and model of headphone under $40? And I cannot really try many cheap ones, you know, because my parents will buy me only one(that costs under $40).:(

12. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I use JVC ear buds, around $20. Not too bad sound quality.

13. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Same problem, you can't really know from a brand how good they are. Some modelas are good, some not so good. Some might sound bad with the amount of bass boost from your iPod shuffle.

But the good point is that you have a lot more chance of being able to test headphones in a shop (as there are less cleanliness issues).

14. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks for answering!!

So can you suggest the model of good headphones brand ? The best model of headphone at (or below) $40?

My basic question is-

Which is the best model of all full sized headphone brands that costs below or at $40? The best headphone model that costs no more than $40.

15. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    After a lot of surfing, I can come to a vague conclusion that skull-candy uprock is the best headphone model below $40. According to most reviews, it provides the best sound quality compared to other $40 headphones including sennheiser.

So, is it really true or is there a better suggestion?

16. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    So can anyone tell me about this from their own experience?

17. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    Skull-candy 40 dollar headphones = 20-25 dollar headphones + 15-20 dollar marketing. Now if you are fine with that then go ahead.
    I don't have any concrete suggestions , there are so many parameters to consider that it should be up to the user unless you have a specific in mind.

If you think in-ear are uncomfortable then maybe you just haven't tried good ones out.
    There is a foam variant and there is a soft rubber variant , the latter is pretty comfortable and is very capable of providing bass if that is what you are after.

If you want over the ear then sennheisers ,AKG and other good brands have quite a few decent pairs for < 40 bucks.

Brands of headphones that you DON'T want to get:

Skull-Candy , -> Monster <- and a few others which I don't remember right now.

This is my opinion though.

MMH likes this.
  18. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Thank you so much!!!

So if that's the case, I bet I should change my mind. Another thing I should consider is that whether they will be available or not. So I decided this

1. Sennheiser HD 203
    2. Skullcandy icon 3 (if 1 not available)
    3. Skullcandy lowrider or uprocks(if 2 not available)

If anyone of you have something better, please inform me.
    Thanks Shagas

19. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Test them out!

Everyone's ears are different, and everyone's opinion on what "sounds best" are different. :)

20. MMH

Thread Starter Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Another problem!!

Will I buy Sennheiser Hd 202 or Hd 203? What is their difference except for the price? Which has better bass, mids, highs, comfort, durability and jack(gold plated, brass, steel)? Which one will be better to buy if I ignore the price difference?