Improving electrical technology

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
The purpose of this thread is more of a brainstorm for ideas:

The question - Explain how a practical application of electrical technology could be improved by making effective use of available technologies.

Now in my eyes i think electrical technology can be improved by superconducting materials, that is the only way forward, having a windturbine in the backgarden and solar panels on everybodys house will look ridiculous in twenty years time. I believe we have the available technology and researchers to 'eventually' create a material that will superconduct at room temperature. The world of technology as we know, would completely change, wether this topic would be relevant for a question like this i dont no

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Superconducting materials are useless without generation. Let's drop the stupid phobia about nuclear power (In the USA).

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I thought we were going nuclear anyway? Power available from renewable energys wouldnt meet demand in todays world, but if a superconducting transmission system would ever be made power generation from renewable energys could take over

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Right now, energy security should come pretty high up the list of our priorities. A highly developed transmission system is probably better seen as enabling choice between different sources, rather than encouraging continued dependence on power generated in distant areas.

The same sort of argument is applicable to oil and gas pipelines, as here in Europe, where some of us are vulnerable to curtailment of our supplies due to conflict between third parties, in which we may have little or no influence.