Importance of Ground pin/wire.

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by mohitjindal, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mohitjindal

Thread Starter Active Member

May 25, 2009
    Hi, I want to know how much important GND pin is in any circuit board ? Is it 100% compulsory to attach it ?:rolleyes:

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    yes.......

3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    I would want to know what the purpose of GND pin to the circuit board is. If it is in fact the DC return that powers the circuit than the answer is YES it is necessary for that circuit board to function!

On the other hand if it is the AC safety ground then NO it is not likely is not compulsory in order for the circuit board to function. If it is an AC safety ground its function is to do nothing including conduct any amount of current until.....

...until there is a type of malfunction in the circuit that might cause high voltage from the AC line to be connected to that ground. Then it magically jumps into action to possibly save your life by providing a path for that high, potentially lethal voltage to, if the power wiring to the AC power is wired properly, the AC return so that the AC fuse or circuit breaker will blow. The other option for that high AC voltage if no safety ground is present is to perhaps cause current flow through your body causing unplesant tingling and perhaps muscle contractions stopping your heart from beating in a regular fashion.

4. mohitjindal

May 25, 2009
    Its DC circuit board. What will happen if i not connect GND ?

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You have to show your circuit.

6. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Sir
    We can guess and guess about what you are talking about and we can try to offer advice in the dark but you will will likely not receive a satisfactory answer unless you supply more specific information as to what you are talking about. Electronics is a pretty specific and exacting topic, but you need to provide enough detail so that we can help.

7. mohitjindal

May 25, 2009
    I purchased a 10amp motor driver board but I am sorry to say that there is no schematic.It has only 1 Direction pin.So I want to know to rotate the motor in both directions GND pin must be connected or not.

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    GND pin must be connected to where?
    Draw a picture or take a photo.
    We cannot see what you are doing. The internet hasn't reached that stage as yet.

9. mohitjindal

May 25, 2009
    I have a 10amp DC motor Driver board. I want to connect it with Atmega 8A 32 pin. Obviously the GND of Motor driver board will go to Ground of Atmega 8A.I only want to know will the Direction pin of motor driver work with GND connected ? or I can leave GND ?

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    For the third and final time: show a picture.

11. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The word "ground" all by itself has no meaning. "Ground" only means something in a specific context.

A simple battery powered circuit may call the battery negative terminal "ground." There is also a green wire inside a wall output plug sometimes called "ground." You don't want to connect these together without a compelling reason.

Sometimes it is correct, even essential to make that connections. Sometimes it will blow things up.

We understand you may not have a schematic showing every part used, so then make us a block diagram showing your power source, your motor, and this controller you put in between. If there are any other parts in the mix show them too.

We're like Johnny 5: we need INPUT to answer your question.

12. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    [​IMG]

MrChips likes this.