implementation of a 5 input - 6 output truth table

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
I have a 5 input - 6 output truth table I want to implement. I have had suggestions of using a PLA or PROM. I have looked up a TIBPAL16L8-15CN and the datasheet says hardware and software is needed to set the truth table.

Can anyone tell me where I can get these? I have looked on the web but cant find anything. The data sheet shows a logic diagram which I have no clue what it means or I would go about programming it.

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
No idea about the price, but I guess you should be able to find something on ebay.
I think programming a fuse-link ROM can be done by hand, if the datasheet shows the programming process.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Data I/O used to make the "de facto" PAL programmer called the 29B. It had a series of interchangeable heads and cost about $10,000 for the base unit, 4 or 5 plugins and the ABEL software for entering equations and creating the fusemap.

Each of the intersections represents an intact poly-silicon fuse. By applying a high current to the individual fuses you can make them open. The remaining intact fusses represent the minterms in a SOP (Sum of Products) expression.

I'm pretty sure there are cheaper alternatives today, but MSI has largely been replaced by the FPGA so good luck.

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
I could make the truth table from gates but theres loads. My truth table has 5 inputs and 6 outputs with 32 combinations. Im not sure if I'm asking the right questions to implement this.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Maybe something more modern like a CPLD could do the job better? But I am not sure if it will be able to do the job without a clock.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Once you program them they act like a standalone circuit, and the larger ones should be able to do some pretty complicated logic.