Impedance matching

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by stealu, Jan 13, 2008.

1. stealu

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I need to couple d sine wave output of a 8038 signal generator IC to the power line, can nebody suggest me the coupler

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The sine output from an 8038 is unable to drive a useful load. You will need to use a 100K pot and a good op amp to buffer the signal (use the pot as a level control).

Driving a signal into a power line is another thing entirely. You will need to use some isolation device like a capacitor or transformer to safely inject the signal onto a power line. This is a link to the Wikipedia article on "power line signaling" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication.

Working on live poeer conductors exposes you to a lethal hazard. Be very cautious.

3. stealu

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Thank you sir for ur suggestion.
    This is my actual problem, i have got a coupler. When i connect the output of a signal generator to d input of the couple n observe d output of the coupler on d CRO its working fine. But d moment i connect the output of d 8038 to d input of the coupler the output is distorted. Wud be grateful if u put some more light on this. I feel its due to the impedance mismatch, the signal generator o/p impedance is 50 ohm but i donno wht is the o/p impedance of the 8038 for a sine wave o/p.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The output of the 8038 is very limited, which is why I suggested using a buffer to keep it from distorting. The 8038 sine output can't drive anything less that 50K ohms.