impedance matching

maaca

Joined Jul 31, 2010
Hi, I have an audio monitor with an output impedance of 400 ohms and record direct to computer and works well. However I would like to use it in a situation where I cant couple to a PC. I thought perhaps recording to one of the Olympus digital recorders which should work well from my device.The Olympus has a mic input impedance around 1.7k ohms and my question is how to deal with this inbalance or would it really matter?.Thanks.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
If the source (output) impedance is lower or the same as the load (input) impedance; it does not matter.
If a poor matching cannot be compensated with volume knobs, needs attention to do it better.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
If I am understanding you correctly, you are feeding a signal from a 400 ohm output impedance, into a 1.7K ohm input impedance, In this case the imbalance is what is needed, you want your input to always be higher than the output that is feeding it, so the input does not impede the output signal being fed to it.

Now if the olympius mic. is feeding into the monitor, then the imbalance is detremental to the signal flow.
In that case impedance matching network would be utilized.

maaca

Joined Jul 31, 2010
Thanks Guys I will try to simplify it a bit The audio monitor is capturing sounds in a given area.I would like to then couple into an Olympus digital recorder in that order. Because its in a very remote area, I cant record direct to PC. So from the audio monitor at 400 ohms output I wish to couple into the digital recorder with a mic input impedance of around 1.7k ohms. Thanks for the replies.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
In that case the impedance matching is proper,
the signal output would drop around 20% of it's original with a load of 1.7K ohms.