Impedance Matching Help

crazyengineer

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Hello. So for a term paper, I'm building an RF transmitter. The impedance of my antenna driven at 1meg was 945j. Also, the output impedance of my output stage was 16.2-1.5j. The problem I'm having is trying to create a matching network. I thought I could use a smith chart, but I do not know how to find the normalized impedance since it's ZL/Z0.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
945j is a really crappy antenna. At 1 Mhz the wavelength is 300 meters so I guess you'll have to live with it. The Z0 you should be using is the characteristic impedance of the transmission line. You'll have to match the transmitter to the line and the line to the antenna.

crazyengineer

Joined Dec 29, 2010
945j is a really crappy antenna. At 1 Mhz the wavelength is 300 meters so I guess you'll have to live with it. The Z0 you should be using is the characteristic impedance of the transmission line. You'll have to match the transmitter to the line and the line to the antenna.
Yeah......I got it from Radioshack. But I'll just deal with it.

The problem is that I have no idea what's the Z0 since everything will be done via breadboard. Should I use a short coaxial cable with the characteristic impedance already defined?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello. So for a term paper, I'm building an RF transmitter. The impedance of my antenna driven at 1meg was 945j. Also, the output impedance of my output stage was 16.2-1.5j. The problem I'm having is trying to create a matching network. I thought I could use a smith chart, but I do not know how to find the normalized impedance since it's ZL/Z0.
No need to assume that you will have a transmission line at all! Of course, without a transmission line, a Smith Chart won't do much for you. HOWEVER...the conjugate match theorem tells you that you can match any impedance to any other impedance with a simple L network. HOWEVER....you need to have some REAL component of your antenna impedance. -955j is only the reactive part....you need to know the radiation resistance as well...which may be only a few ohms.

Eric