Impedance Function

cramerica

Joined Mar 15, 2011
Hello all.

I am a lowly mechanical engineer, studying for an equivalence exam through my employer (a regulated utility operator), to allow me to bid positions on the electric side of the house. I am currently a gas engineer.

I already failed my first attempt at the test, due in no small part to questions like this:

"Given an impedance function [Z=60<pi/3], determine the values of the parallel elements".

Now, I have no problem with vector math, or calculating total impedance from given values of R, C and L. But I think even a mechanical engineer can see that this problem is indeterminant. Am I right? Even if I assume a voltage, say 100V<0, I still have too many unknowns.

Isn't there an infinite number of possible combinations to result in any arbitrary total Z?

I apologize if this question seems beyond basic - but I've been wracking my brain trying to see a solution! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I'm not an EE, but I did take a networks class back in the 60's. I hope my info isn't out of date... :p

If one assumes that the impedance is 60 ohms with an angle of 60 degrees and they're asking for the parallel components, then I'd assume this is an inductor in parallel with a resistor. Should be straightforward to resolve into the real and reactive components...

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I'm not an EE, but I did take a networks class back in the 60's. I hope my info isn't out of date... :p

If one assumes that the impedance is 60 ohms with an angle of 60 degrees and they're asking for the parallel components, then I'd assume this is an inductor in parallel with a resistor. Should be straightforward to resolve into the real and reactive components...
It would be handy to know the frequency...

cramerica

Joined Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of assuming, since the circuit is net-inductive, that it could be resolved into an inductor and a resistor. Trying to model it as a capacitor and inductor inherently opens Pandora's box - as Ron H said, what is the frequency?

To quote the ProTrain curriculum: "Reverse design a circuit from a total impedance to show circuit basic elements".

It's also entirely possible the question was incorrectly written - after all, it came from the engineering offices of a utility company...

Thanks again - any other input is appreciated.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This problem has two steps. The first step is to find the series resistance and reactance that give you the required impedance.
Rich (BB code):
Rs = 60 * cos(π/3) = 30 Ω

Xs = 60 * sin(π/3) = 60 * (√3/2) ≈ 51.96 Ω
Now we need to apply a transformation that will give us the values for an equivalent parallel circuit.
Rich (BB code):
Compute Q:
Q = Xs/Rs = 51.96 / 30 ≈ 1.732
Compute Rp:
Rp = (Q^2 + 1)*Rs = 4 * 30 = 120 Ω
Xp = Rp / Q = 69.28 Ω
We can check this answer by computing the (complex) impedance of Rp in parallel with Xp as follows:
Rich (BB code):
Zt = (Rp)(jXp) / (Rp + jXp)  : where j is the imaginary unit
Zt = (120)(69.28j) / (120 + j69.28)
Zt = (j8313.6)(120 - j69.28) / (120 + j69.28)(120 - j69.28)
Zt = (575966.208 + j997632) / (14400 + 4799.7184)
Zt = 30 + j51.96

QED
If we also know the frequency of interest we can compute the implied inductance.

cramerica

Joined Mar 15, 2011
Thanks PapaBravo. I think I understand - but you also have to work under the assumption that the 'circuit elements' in question are an inductor and resistor?

Thanks!

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I don't think it is necessary to assume any frequencies, but to work with what is given - so the angle will tell you whether the combination is an inductor plus resistor or capacitor plus resistor and you need that information to solve the problem. As per diagram, its all in the angles, the rest is just math.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks PapaBravo. I think I understand - but you also have to work under the assumption that the 'circuit elements' in question are an inductor and resistor?

Thanks!
There is no assumption here. Since the impedance is in quadrant 1, the only possible series circuit, with two elements, is a resistor and an inductor. This leads to the parallel circuit of a resistor and an inductor. It is true that at sufficiently high frequencies that capacitors look like inductors and inductors look like capacitors, bat that is a story for another time.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes they can because the inductive and capacitive reactances will cancel each other since they are of the opposite sign. Ultimately though the resulting reactance will look like the appropriate inductor alone. This may be what the OP was refering to when he wondered if there wasn't a multiplicty of possible solution. The one with only two components certainly represents the simplest solution.