Impedance discontinuity close to power amp

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dbickham, Apr 14, 2010.

1. dbickham

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I've got a VLF transmission line with a possible impedance discontinuity 1000ft from the PA, so only a small fraction of a wavelength away, but the total transmission line length is significant relative to the wavelength. So my question is, do rules of an electrically short transmission line apply so that I can basically ignore this? It would make sense that no standing wave can develop in the portion of the line before the discontinuity, but do I need to worry about reflections at my PA output? Thanks!

2. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    It will change the impedance seen by the amp, so also probably changing the power output to some amount.

3. dbickham

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks rjenkins. Is that the only effect? No reflected power at the PA?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    How bad is the impedance mismatch?

5. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    A discontinuity a small fraction of a wavelength from the amp would have a similar effect to the same fault directly at the amp output.

If the fault is either a short or open circuit, then either near zero or infinite impedance at the amp, so a pretty high level of reflected power.

dbickham likes this.
  6. dbickham

Apr 14, 2010
    SgtWookie -
    This is actually more of a hypothetical for now. I'm doing a splice job on an accidentally severed cable, so I'm thinking of "what ifs" if the splice job is done poorly.