Images not displaying reliably :(

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Hypatia's Protege, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Hypatia's Protege

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    For a while attaching the images for 'full presentation' seemed to work -- Now (more often than not) - the some (random) images either fail to display or display a black 'page' --- I have attempted to troubleshoot this issue via use of various operating systems, browsers, computers and connections -- all with the same result -- moreover (at least) one other member is experiencing the same difficulty --- Please advise - I'm running out of ideas:(

As an example please view post #72 on the "EHT Design And Construction" thread in the OT forum...

Best regards
    HP

2. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I currently do not, and never have, had trouble viewing your images (except for the time that they disappeared and had to be uploaded again). I don't think Aleph has reported having problems viewing them either. So I'm afraid there's a problem on your end somewhere.

It might help to know:
    • What web browser are you using?
    • Are you using the latest version of it?
    • Are you using any add-ons that can block objects on web pages?
    • Is your Internet connection slow or sporadic?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Thank you for your reply!:)

Actually Aleph had the selfsame difficulty as I with the thumbnail attachment style (as I only recently learned in post #77) -- Note: Re the below quoted text - her accolades are in response my switch to 'full attachment' style:

---Emphasis added---

The 'full attachment' style initially worked for me also -- however It's back to the same old nonsense:mad: --- Aleph is away on business for the better part of this week -- although we are in contact via email she is not permitted (non-business) internet access via company 'infrastructure' -- Hence it will be Thursday or Friday before she'll know whether these 'new' difficulties effect her as well...

In addition to Firefox I have tried IE and Google Chrome..

Yes in all cases...

I disabled all add-ons in FF and did not install add-ons on the other browsers -- So, short answer: No:)

It's a 'high-speed' DSL connection -- although it doesn't exactly 'set the world on fire' I have no problems streaming, displaying or downloading elsewhere...

Additionally:

I have tried the following OSs:
    Windows 7 ultimate
    Windows XP Pro
    Windows XP home

And Yikes! Windows 10

I have tried from various machines and through four different routers as well as 'directly' (i.e without a router)

I am using no proxies, VPNs nor firewalls (I even went so far as to turn Windows Firewall off during trouble-shooting)
    Note also that I have attempted 'spoofing' the user agent to no useful effect...

FWIW here are some notes Re: symptom presentation:

-Failure is not a 'given' at any particular juncture -- the images often display correctly.

When symptoms are manifest:
    -Some or all of the images fail to display -- showing either place holders or opening black 'images' --- Curiously, the 'properties' of 'blacked-out' images are consistent with the image that 'attempted' to display.
    -The browser often (but not as a rule) 'bogs down' or stops responding -- requiring (forcible) closure...
    -There is no obvious pattern as regards which or when files will be effected...

FWIW I suspect the problem owes to server 'timeouts' inasmuch as the presentation is 'reminiscent' of same --- howbeit said speculation is little more than whimsy...

Many, many thanks for your interest in this matter!:):):)

Best regards
    HP

4. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    Wow, it sounds like you really have tried everything! I should have known that.:)

One more question: Do you use any antivirus software other than Microsoft's?

5. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Yes:
    "Avira" on the work stations (One running Win7 Ultimate (X86) -- The other running Win7 Ultimate (X64)
    --and--
    "AVG" On the machines running XP

On another point:
    FWIW: The difficulty is not effected by ACC display style selection (i.e. 'Fluid' vs 'Default')

Many thanks!:)
    HP

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    OK, I give up.:( Hopefully one of the admins will be able to help you.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  7. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    As a last resort I may try merely posting the URLs to the images (as opposed to attaching them)...

Again, thanks for your time, effort and assistance!:)

Best regards
    HP

8. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    You could also upload the images to Google Drive (or any place where you have storage space on the cloud) and then insert them into your post, and see if that makes a difference. If I understand correctly, this would cause the images to be downloaded from the website they are hosted on when someone views your post rather than from AAC.

9. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Is this issue related to difficulties viewing PDF file links on an iPhone?

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I've never had any problems on this end. When I'm posting I usually use {img}

11. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Seems reasonable considering the timing of your difficulty and that of another member with linking images...

The observation that some (perhaps most?) members experience no difficulty - taken with intermittent presentation and the fact that (to date) my difficulties are limited to my own images (all rather large FS>2Mb) tends to reinforce my suspicion that 'timeouts' are at the root of the problem (being, as one might reasonably expect, subject to such factors as 'route throughput' server demand, etc...)

Thanks for the feedback!:)

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I may have replicated your problem. I just started a thread on a project I've been working on, and it would not let me upload .png attachments even though it is an option.

When I edited the file it did.

The options I got starting a thread were truly strange, and did not look like the previous versions.

Suggestion, try uploading the same files as an edit and see if that works. It will show the Create Thread option is broken if it does.

13. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks, Wendy!

Actually my difficulties aren't with uploading or attaching files, but rather, with dysfunctional display of same...

That said, there is the curious fact that (prior to disabling the "flash based uploader" feature) when selecting files for upload ".jpg" files were not shown in the (local) directory unless I specified "*.jpg" on the "file name line" --- Although I can't imagine it making a difference, perhaps I should re-up the files now I've disabled said feature????

Thanks for your interest and assistance!:)

Best regards
    HP

14. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    HP you tag me in alert so I check some pics load but the others can't except when restart ff then it change which pics load and not plz don't be worried for me I'm patient for you to find a way!:)

15. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks! -- I'm working on it!:):):)