Image processing assign on leaf recognition

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Mannipuccho, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Mannipuccho

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Hi guys,

Please I am working on an image processing assignment on leaf recogntion, please can anyone help me out as I am not too familiar with matlab. I need to different between leafs, so therefore I need to come up with a characteristics on how to do this in matlab. I will really appreciate any help.

Regards

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    You might start by giving us a description of what you think leaf recognition consists of. At least three different things come to mind and they all involve different approaches.

3. Mannipuccho

Nov 6, 2014
    Hi Papabravo,

The assignment said that I should develop a computationally efficient computer vision based (MATLAB) solution that is capable of automatically recognising a tree based on its leaf characteristics (2D digital image). The system must work for at least 4 tree types. I hope the question makes a lot sense now ?

4. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Could you copy verbatim the statement of work you received?

5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    So here is my problem. I don't know if 'tree' and 'leaf' refer to abstract data properties of a video data structure, or are the visual details of the biological 'tree' and 'leaf' contained in the raw pixel data? How about posting one or more images so we can tell what you are talking about.

6. Mannipuccho

Nov 6, 2014
    Hi Papabravo,

I have attached an image of a leaf that I want to use, so basically I want to process these images and be able to tell the difference between these leafs, please what steps do u have in mind and how can I do this .

7. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I see now. If you look at the raw data in the .jpg file can you reliably tell the difference between a background pixel and a leaf pixel?

If so you can determine the area.
    You can determine the centroid.
    You can determine the aspect ratio.
    You can determine the number of vertexes.

Those four things will get you started.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Maybe the place to start would be an outline on leaf taxonomy. Find a few characteristics to differentiate the 4 species with which you are being presented. I suspect your examples can be differentiated by a just few simple characteristics, such as compound/simple, smooth edge/serrated edge. Use the words that your professor wants you to use.
    upload_2014-11-24_17-24-56.png

The actual shape of a leaf can show a lot of polymorphism, for example fig leaves.

John

9. Mannipuccho

Nov 6, 2014
    Thank you guys,

Based on the last two replies, I now have an idea of what to do, I appreciate

10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Polymorphism you say...
    No wonder Adam selected a fig leaf to cover his junk.