I'm very lost in choosing

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Like I say, there's nothing wrong with winning awards, or being top of the class, but one has to be careful with how they are perceived by one's peers. A tiny bit of humble pie goes a long way.

One time that will stay with me for a long time is when we were given a demo on how to use an oscilloscope (only how time base and voltage works). Our teacher told us to gather 'round - I stayed at the back. Teacher pulled the scope out of the box and plonked it on the desk. Switched it on and connected it to a mains power supply. When it didn't work (flickering), the way to fix it way to hit it several times - then lift it about an inch off of the desk and drop it. :eek:

I was cringing like mad, but didn't say anything - for fear of being a swat and/or showing up the teacher - which is something NO-ONE should ever do.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
People that don't like you because you are more intelligent than them are the most pathetic losers on the planet. And the smarter you are the more losers like that you will come across. You should never bother with inferiors or modify your behaviour because of their pathetic "issues".

I remember a quote from a movie;
(big football jock pushes a nerd and walks off)
Nerd1; "What's his problem?"
Nerd2; "His problem is that he is in the last year of the best 4 years of his entire life..."
;)

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
hey guys it' s not because of intelligence!! neither in peer s !!

you know im closed w/ all of my classmates and they are all good classmates !

also im not a very smar t kid who knows more than his teacher

also my problem is secret. sorry sparky!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I was cringing like mad, but didn't say anything - for fear of being a swat and/or showing up the teacher - which is something NO-ONE should ever do.
I disagree. Your failing to stand up to the incompetent teacher caused a situation where his incompetence was then propagated to the young impressionable students. You facilitated the spread of incompetence and actually robbed your peers of the opportunity of learning how to do it correctly.

The teacher really needed a kick up the butt and your behaviour wasn't far behind. :)

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
But there's a difference between modifying your behaviour to look stupid to impress others, and modifying your behaviour to show consideration and empathy towards others.

I agree that to appear stupid to 'fit in' is wrong.

But to avoid the embarresment of others through careful thought and planning of your actions is, perhaps, the sign of someone who is really clever? Someone who can be both academically 'clever' and socially 'clever'?

Indeed.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
That's a very good point and I do agree. Like many of my posts on the forums I have expressed a very "black and white" view for emphasis and maybe to incite a little discussion. ;)

Someone CAN be very skilled socially but choose to take a harder line in social interaction, in the same way a good coach may be very gentle with one sports student but be quite hard on another. I'm from a British background where is someone is wrong you correct them which fixes their error from then on, and stops the error being spread to others.

From what I've seen of the American educational system it's a lot more about "boosting confidence" and other new-age type feel good thinking where it's important not to criticise or tell someone they are wrong, resulting in an educational system where one out of four high school graduates fail the national literacy test. Call me old fashioned if you like but "saving people from embarassment" may not always be the best option. Sometimes a good old fashioned "kick up the butt" is best.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Ah-hem - I'm British too you know. ;)

I agree though - there certainly is a time and place where black - and - white situations do exist.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hahaha! Whoops! :D

To be fair I think discipline and education standards are at an all time low, in all English speaking countries including here in Australia.

I saw a documentary in a Chinese school where ten year olds were doing multi-digit multiplications in their heads in a couple of seconds, and everyone looked VERY disciplined, polite and organised.

And the kids in our schools trying to speak "ghetto" and telling the teachers to f-off and all the teachers are terribly worried about hurting a kids feelings if they were to criticise him in any way...

It's a worrying future.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I can assure you that does not happen in 99.999% of schools, in 99.999% of classes, by 99.999% of students.

With a confidence interval of 98%.

And I would have to disagree with education being an all time low - results are getting better and better every year - and exams are NOT getting easier.

And that's from someone who is still in the education system right now - so I should know! (Or at least, ought to know! :p)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
@ spark, i never said stuff in cl ass is easy:D @ max, ouch !! digging fossil?? how do you dig that at age 3
By my parents and family taking out to Licy shell pit, peace river, Gardier phosphate, etc.. Frank Garcia was a family friend. Also you don't actually have to dig, You walk and look for bone color in the phosphate piles. Then you can just pick it right up. Then when I was a lil older we would do screens and water to actually dig raw material. Most commen finds were gator teeth, Megladon teeth, Mammoth and Mastidon teeth, indian beads, arrowheads, horse teeth, marine vertibrates, and other shark teeth.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
And I would have to disagree with education being an all time low - results are getting better and better every year - and exams are NOT getting easier.
Maybe you are in a particularly good school in a nice area?

I watch those British real cop shows like road wars and when they pull over a car full of young people the occupants are not even capable of speaking properly. OK, a lot of that occurs in London etc so it might represent a different class of people to those in your school, but there seems to be no shortage of them...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
US kids are dumb as posts. The dumbing up of our youths is unbelievable. But what do you expect when you let comedy central and FX raise your kids. Plus our teachers are so under paid and overloaded were loosing all the good ones that are actually educated to other fields. My sister just quit and went into research for some company. She said she feels like a fool for teaching the past 12 years.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Well, my school is pretty nice - just as all the others I've been too. I've had to travel around the country (literally places between, including, Inverness and Trevisker) and all schools are just about the same. You have those who do nothing wrong, get great grades and so on. You also get those who are your average kid, who tries hard now and then, gets told off now and then too. And like with everything in life, you get some plonkers who do nothing, drop the f-word, etc.

But these people are incredibly few in numbers. Shows like Cops with Cameras only exist because these events are so rare, that they are 'exciting'. If a TV crew were to follow every under 18 in the country for a week and make a TV shpw out of all of it - it would be incredibly dull to watch - because there are so few of the drugged up hooligans we see on these shows.

What I'm not saying, is that all kids in school are perfect and behave well all the time. This is certainly not true. However, the number of unruly kids is truely very small - from all backgrounds.

There have always been hooligan children throughout history. What's different about this generation, is that we have a media which insists on portraying all children as monsters, and old farts who lap up this stuff.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You're really saying it's in the eye of the beholder?

Ask someone who has been teaching for 40 years about the lack of student discipline and bad bahaviour and if that leads to reduced learning for that student and the other people they disrupt.

When I went to high school we could still be hauled off to the vice principal and be caned across the hand for bad behaviour including things like talking back in class. And a few years before that they were caning the students across their backsides for discipline issues. Who disciplines school students today?

I'm not saying "all children are monsters" by any means but the reduced parental and school discipline leads to the inevitable result of young people who "won't be told what to do" which is not condusive to teacher->student style learning.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You do realize 1chance is almost exactly what you just described? Worked in a high school for 40 or so years?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
My mum's a teacher, all three of my aunties are teachers, and two of my uncles are teachers.

One could say that we've discussed this a couple of times before. :)

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
As for discipline, there is still a great deal of discipline - just not of a physical kind.

IMO, the system for discipline we have now is a far better one - but it's harder to implement. Traditional 'discipline' was nothing more than bullying and more often than not, hypocritical.

You got caught punching another kid? Well, I beat you up with a cane/slipper to teach you that's wrong.

Nowadays, we have a much more remedial approach, making people think about their actions. What caused them? What made you mis-behave? How did the other person feel about that?

Trust me, it works. And when it works - it REALLY works. Of course, there are those who won't be affected by it, just like those who got caned day after day after day.

But the main difference (and possible advantage?), is that no-one gets hurt. As a result, the 'trouble-makers' begin to have great respect for their teachers and peers. Not out of fear and physical trauma like with caning, but out of genuine respect and understanding for their fellow human-beings.

Could that be an advantage? Could a less physical approach work?

Or a load of codswallop?

I think there's a great deal of research to be done, before one makes a decision - and not from news reports. ;)

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
There is a lack of discipline in schools now because standards have now changed.

Back in the day, if my Dad misbehaved in any way shape or form, my Grandad would of beaten his bare backside with a belt. If he couldn't hold a lampy steady above an engine repair, he would of had the back of his head slapped. If he was found smoking, he would of been forced to sit and smoke the whole pack; one straight after the other. It's not like this anymore.

If some rough arse in a school was to recieve a taste of the cane in today's world, there is no doubt their Father would come stumbling in to the school from a lunchtime binge shaking his fists.

As already aforementioned, just watch those crime documentaries and you will see such that the Police get verbally assaulted by the culprits parents for bringing their pain in the arse kid back!