Im new and would like your opinions

kayakguy

Joined Apr 20, 2009
I'm wanting to make a project that incorporates a kayak and a trolling motor.
I am not an electronics genius at all and am looking for some help.
I'm using a Minn Kota Endura 30 trolling motor that i believe is a brushed DC motor. I want to remove the controller head and make a controller i can embed in the kayak with a speed controller circuit.
Heres the question I believe it pulls 30 amps from a cold cranking 12 volt marine battery I have found some controllers on the net that seem like they would fit the bill but am unsure if A) I have all the information i need to adequetly pick the correct controller and what would be the controller you would use -I wont be assembling this myself I want to to grab an assembled one. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
here is a link to one i found
http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1742.html

30 amps is a lot of current. Please post some info on the controller you already have and lets find a way to utilize all or part of that controller if cost is any kind of issue, vs. reinventing your wheel.

Robert

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I didn't see its current/power capacity. The 12V wall adapter sold with it is only 1A, so that is suggestive that the controller may not be able to handle 30 A continuously.

Controllers for models will handle 30A, but also may not work well continuously. Most of the model motors in that power range today are brushless. That may mean you could get a used controller for brushed motors cheaply.

John

kayakguy

Joined Apr 20, 2009
i will loook tomorrow at the box its not in front of me right now and get the exact specs-ill post it -Thanks for the interst i really appreciate it