I'm looking for a house

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I haven't been on the forum for a while. I usually drop off a bit anyway in the summer time. Out riding the bicycle, preparing for a tour and the tour itself. This year it was the Oregon and northern California coast. It was extremely difficult but glorious. If you can get to the coast I highly recommend.

This summer has been much more busy because I am in the process of searching for a new house. I have been in my townhouse for nearly 30 years now.

It has never been perfect but I don't need to worry about cutting the grass, shoveling snow in the winter or pretty much taking care of anything on the outside.

But lately it has turned intolerable. My jackass neighbor (I call him pee brain) does not work. Hasn't for probably over 10 years now. He sponges of of his girlfriend.

I would imagine that during the day he gets lonely, so he has taken up drinking in front of this townhouse which is next to mine. He drinks out front so he can see when the rest of the neighbors are about and invites them over for a drink. I could have several people drinking out in front of his place, just a few meters from my door. Not good for privacy and not good for property values so I have decided to sell while I can.

So I have been pretty busy fixing this place up. The walls in my bathrooms are a mess due to years of wallpaper with the original wallpaper put on poorly prepared walls.

The only part of my time is being taken up with finding a new place. It is not easy to find something that I want in my budget. My prime requirement is privacy. Privacy either from space or vegetation blocking me from my neighbors. I really don't want to jump from the frying pan int the fire as we say.

So hopefully I will be back participating in the forum soon.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Drinking neighbors are no fun.

Good luck on you hunt for a new house.

Have you considered living on a boat?
I have too much stuff for a boat. I would really need to downsize. And the only place for a boat around here would be the river. Both stinky and noisy. River is fairly clean but it still has an odor. Trains run down the shore of the river.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am in the midst of a kitchen remodel, and had the same wallpaper problem. I bought a $50 steamer at Home Depot, which made the job easier, but still no fun. The paper is off now, and I have patched the sheet rock.

We had new cabinet doors and drawer fronts made, and I painted the cabinet frames while the doors were off. New countertops are due next Wednesday, so Monday, I have to disconnect the range and the sink, and remove the old counter tops, and then repair any newly exposed wall damage. Once the new counter tops are installed, I will reinstall the range and connect the new sink, paint the remaining walls, trim, and ceiling. It has been a bigger job than I expected, but aren't they all?

Welcome back, spinnaker.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
They are out there right now (3PM) already drunk but at least out back. They have been there since around 10AM. Pee Brain's GF (really his mommy) has been cackling up a storm of laughter for hours now. Very annoying when you are trying to hang wallpaper liner in tight spaces.

Tracecom,

I went with wall liner. Walls are just too bad. Sheet rock really needs to be replaced. I went with skim coat in bathrooms but some of the walls still look really rough. I did not do such a good job. I think I will put wall liner up over those walls when I am finished with the rest of the house.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Yes ,I looked at some of the trail pictures you posted ,big difference. Do you have

bikers there in the hundreds ,riding all the time. We have some good eco systems

like riding thru the Everglades on paved roads. There just a few ,but you can ride

a lot miles. Also riding to the Keys or to the cape.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Spinnaker, In case of a emergency ,I am making plans to survive. I have a couple

of back up plans to keep safe. You might say a temporary home away from home.

You never know what tomorrow will bring .

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Spinnaker,

Pittsburgh seems like such a traffic mess for the relatively small size of the greater Pittsburgh urban area. All the rivers, bridges and lack of an interstate bypass (beltway) make any commute a mess.

I hope you don't live/work South of the city - that is a snarled mess of traffic. Worse than Los Angeles. I was told to plan two hours for a 25 mile run from the PIT airport to South Park to make a customer dinner. I was a little early but not by much!

Cheers!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
@ Spinnaker, In case of a emergency ,I am making plans to survive. I have a couple

of back up plans to keep safe. You might say a temporary home away from home.

You never know what tomorrow will bring .
Loosie, don't tell me you're one of them "Doomsday Preppers" from the discovery channel... :eek::eek::eek:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The word of the day

Doing things the same way

Sounds of discourse

Receiving better resources

Receipt given today for...

Good health and a roof new or not