I’m looking for a book.

boriz

Joined Jul 16, 2009
Hi.

Actually it’s a short story in a science fiction anthology (I think). Read it in the early 80's. Prolly published 70's.

Hopefully someone here might recognise the story and perhaps identify the author. It goes something like this...

Guy reads small ad in paper advertising guaranteed joy (or bliss) for life. He finds out later that the company requires you to sign over all your worldly possessions and put yourself completely in their hands.

For some reason he leaves earth and returns many years later to find desolated cities, unkempt with encroaching wildlife. It seems deserted until he breaks into a dwelling and finds a sort of sarcophagus/chamber with power going into it. He finds more of these in other buildings. They each contain a person, what’s left of humanity. They all signed up for the bliss-for-life scheme and live in a virtual world. A bit like The Matrix.

Familiar?

I’d be very grateful for any information leading to an actual copy of the book. Thanks.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
It sounds very much like something from the Twilight Zone television or radio series. Listened to most of them on my mp3 player. Really cool stuff.

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
I recall a reading a short story along these lines . . . a world where reality was shoved aside for a virtual world that eventually encompassed an entire civilization. Gradually however, the "bliss" that was the virtual reality became a nightmare as the chemicals used to induce the proper state wore down the nerve endings in the body, and instead began causing increasing, inescapable agony.

I don't think this is the one you are looking for, however . . . as I recall a spaceship from earth found this world while exploring the cosmos. Also, it's not beyond the realm of possibility I am remembering two different tales as one story. There are a couple other plot points I recall that don't quite fit the frame outlined above . . .

At any rate, I have no idea who wrote the story or the title. When I get a chance I'll dig out my anthologies and see if I can run it down.