I'm going to a HAM COM

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Note, this is a two year old thread I'm reusing. The 2011 Ham Com is June 10,11.

Dallas Ham Con that is. This Saturday.

http://www.hamcom.org/

Don't go for the lectures or course (and there are plenty of those), but for the flee market and vendors!

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Dang, and I thought I fixed that too. Some of the characters in the parking lot could use an appropriate collor though.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Bill,

where is the dallas ham com .... this saturday?

I will drive up to Plano in June ... probably get one of those "massagers" this year. I'm going to get my "tickets" online and save the two bucks. LOL

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nope, dates are listed. I just reused a 2 year old thread!

Thanks for the heads up, the original post has been fixed.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
What items are at this flea market, and would you be willing to keep your eyes open for AC ammeters or such stuff for a certain Indiana kid if I promised to pay for them and the shipping?
(I'll need to run this by my old man, but I think he's warning up to "you strange internet people" a bit.;))

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Last year Bill got a pretty nice o'scope at the hamcom.

I bought two ballcaps. Ran into a few other Coast Guard vets and of course, met AAC's own Bill Mardsen.

That's a pretty big order Magnet. I'm sure there is a hamcom or ham fest in your area. Besides that ... what are your AC ammeter specifications and other "specs". Also, you should know your budget and prices of current equipments that meet your specifications. Then you can formulate a budget you have in mind ... don't forget the shipping. After all, you don't want to spend 75% of the price of a used meter and pay shipping when you can get a new one.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Well, it is here, this weekend. I have nothing I need, and no money to spend, but I'm going anyhow. I recommend it for anyone remotely close to the DFW area!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hey you ham nerds! :) j/k How does data transmission work thru ham? I had a friend who's dad was a weatherman on TV. He had this entire room full of radios and computers and all this stuff. My understanding was they could hook the ham up to the PC's and transmit data to each other. Is this correct? Like old school dial up?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hey you ham nerds! :) j/k How does data transmission work thru ham? I had a friend who's dad was a weatherman on TV. He had this entire room full of radios and computers and all this stuff. My understanding was they could hook the ham up to the PC's and transmit data to each other. Is this correct? Like old school dial up?
Some nerds in Norway did the same thing. If the distance were too long, they put repeaters in between them. This was a long time ago, and they used the 80386 computers. The speed was not great, but it was free. They logged on to BBS's.

Do you still have your BBS, Bill?