I'm curious about people's IQ's on this forum...

Jake1234

Joined Oct 14, 2007
I searched the forum, and I couldn't find a topic like this, but I'm curious to know...

I was wondering about peoples IQ's on this forum. Now I definitely don't think, this is by no means, a measure of how smart or intelligent you are because I believe intelligence has several contributing factors such as effort, motivation, determination, etc. I was just curious because I know that higher IQ's usually intend to improve memory and retention and the sort. So, if you aren't reluctant to share, please post your most recent IQ score from a test you took (it can be unofficial or official, doesn't matter).

I know IQ tends to change as well, so I'm not looking for exact answers. I'm just curious to see how smart you people are :).

I'm not a genius, my IQ is about 120.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I have no clue. I never measured it, nor do I like IQ tests. If intelligence was based entirely on one's ability to memorize facts, we could train a monkey to do that. Intelligence is so much more than that.

yourownfree

Joined Jul 16, 2008
well I dont think an IQ test works in electronics. It doesn't matter if you know every question on Jeopardy, because that will not help you build or repair anything. So tell me what an IQ test would prove here? What you have here is people willing to share what they know with others. Things they have learned through the years, by experience, something you cant get from a book. It is a specialty item here to probe the minds and bend their ears. The good part is you could be twice as smart... you will know what they know and then you will know what you know. I have seen some of the dumbest people or thought so anyway have some of the most brillaint answers. So it's hard to judge anyone by Intelligent tests. Myself I learn from everybody and then add what they know to my collection, its all fun!

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Fortunately, I don't know what mine is (my wife says not to worry, it will easily fit in 4 bits). I honestly don't know what you'd do with the set of answers to this question except chuckle at them, as there will be a bunch of wisecracks. If someone thinks they have a "low IQ", whatever that means, then they won't likely respond. Others, desirous of instant fame and hordes of female admirers, will inflate their numbers and lie convincingly.

Wait, I just got back from a test on the Internet measuring my IQ. The result was -27i. Something tells me that also explains why all my friends are imaginary.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I do not think the IQ is of much importance in electronics.
It is more the experience one gets over the years.
Also logic thinking can help a lot in electronics.
Sometimes you will need some intuition to get to the solution.

Greetings,
Bertus

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Fortunately, I don't know what mine is (my wife says not to worry, it will easily fit in 4 bits). I honestly don't know what you'd do with the set of answers to this question except chuckle at them, as there will be a bunch of wisecracks. If someone thinks they have a "low IQ", whatever that means, then they won't likely respond. Others, desirous of instant fame and hordes of female admirers, will inflate their numbers and lie convincingly.

Wait, I just got back from a test on the Internet measuring my IQ. The result was -27i. Something tells me that also explains why all my friends are imaginary.
You made a horrible mistake. :eek: Its -27j not i. Ahhhhhh. Speak EE english or else the world will end, and all computers will fail at the stroke of midnight. Runs away.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Its not political correct to use the old( I Q ) scale because of
the jokes.I'm sure one of my mentor's can clear this up.

Jake1234

Joined Oct 14, 2007
Well I was just curious on what peoples numbers were. I wasn't trying to prove anything, nor was I trying to come off as people with high IQ's being the only measure of how intelligent you are or that experience doesn't matter. If it did, I apologize.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If you are 120,you should be able to share your memory of your test.Like
sample of math,phases,puzzles and where numbers fit educate us. Like
they say its not all about electronic,commicate with us.

Jack Bourne

Joined Apr 30, 2008
I think the only thing that matters is wether you can do the electronics.
I think intuition will help and that could be measured by IQ?:confused:

I'm the first one to know mine and it's 148 which was about 4 years ago I took it. IQ test results flutuate a lot so they cannot be relied upon for anything.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Amen. When I was a young kid it was supposed to be high, but they would never tell my mom what the numbers were.

Through the judicious use of chemicals such as alcohol I have brought this number down to a comfortable 128 (or whatever). Truth, I think the system is bogus too, but what would MENSA do without it?

Reading a lot of SciFi (another addiction) I thought Robert Sawyer had an interesting idea. As scanning tech gets better you count neurons and their connections, which yields a nice solid number that is not subjective.

fanie

Joined Jan 20, 2007
There is a post on wikipedia, the wealth and iq of nations. You can google for it. It should give you a good idea of the average guy's iq, but ! take into consideration that the average guy usually does not involve himself with electronics. You will probably find that these guys won't give you their iq's out of consideration (he he...) to your's :D

Being from s africa, you will notice that our ave iq here is around 67 :eek:

Scary eh !

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In Leuven, a university town, there is a statue of a student holding a beer stein so it pours into his head. The sentiment is something like "with enough of this going in, maybe some smarts comes out". It's great beer at any rate.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think it was measured at one time, but they kept the results confidential. You must know and understand how cruel children can be with such incendiary information. Fortuneately I was never subjected to a retest.

SigmaCeq

Joined Jul 30, 2009
You made a horrible mistake. :eek: Its -27j not i. Ahhhhhh. Speak EE english or else the world will end, and all computers will fail at the stroke of midnight. Runs away.
Haha. Best answer yet!

I've never taken an IQ test. I think I'd rather not take one though. Ignorance is bliss...

RolfRomeo

Joined Apr 27, 2009
As IQ tries to measure a subjects ability to reason logicly, and/or spot emergent patterns, it should apply to EE, but it's probably a poor substitute for experience. Something we could perhaps call mechanical intelligence I think is more relevant in this case. (Think Mike Scofield, if noone minds me bringing up that fallen cash-cow.)