im at a loss for words!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by boosk, Mar 18, 2012.

1. boosk

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    DerStrom8 likes this.
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I think this applies under the hope springs eternal label.

I went ahead and un-moderated this thread. The spam software thought it looked suspicious.

3. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Food for thought.

Sometimes people do these offers in the hope that the bidding goes viral. If it does go viral, this guy may be on talk shows on TV. Then he would be famous. So selling this stuff is like playing the lottery.

Or, what if this person is already a famous celebrity. Items like this from a world famous person would be very valuable. What is he is playing a funny joke. Imagine a bidder buys this stuff for 1 dollar and then receives a letter of authenticity that this stuff was owned by David Lettermann. Makes a funny story for his show. The purchaser then ends up on the David Lettermann show and has a valuable collection. So buying this stuff is like playing the lottery.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    A few years ago, a news program did an article on Ebay.

The reporter spent 15 minutes walking along a beach, collecting bits of washed up rope.

He then sold it for £2.50 on Ebay.

What did they buyer want it for? To hold cover over his car.

Everything has a use.

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Looks like a perfect "Disguise a crime scene" kit.

6. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Absolutely.

Driftwood is used for art. Perhaps the buyer uses drift-rope as decorative material in artistic works related to nautical subjects. Perhaps he makes a fortune selling stuff in a gift shop in some coastal tourist trap.

The guy was probably laughing that some fool had spent hours collecting valuable material for him as the bargain price of £2.50 :p

Sparky49 likes this.
  7. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    People will buy anything, this is actually a common scam that works. People list crap for sale for $1 + $5 shipping and say I'm trying to pay for college blah blah blah. On a ebay global scale find 100 suckers a day and thats $18,600.00 a month.

8. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I might put a tesco plastic bag up and see how much I can get for it.

9. hexreader

Apr 16, 2011
    I remember that program. I also remember that the SELLER had to pay postage of £7 (or something similar) and thus still lost money on the deal. It was all about getting "money for old rope"

It is the postage and packing (sometimes deliberately hyped) that can be a total killer for some "bargains"

Sparky49 likes this.
  10. K7GUH

Jan 28, 2011
    I responded to an ad for a lathe at $800.00. Went to look at it. It had been stored outdoors in the rain-sleet-snow for heaven only knows how long. Mfgd circa 1940, motor not rusted solid, leadscrew in bad shape, one broken cast iron foot under the gear box. Told the seller I'd have to think about it. Went home and lay down until the thought passed.

11. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    They also used to sell drugs under the title of

Mystery Liquid - $250.

I'm selling 250ml of semiclear liquid in a so and so bottle. I don't know what the liquid is, buy it now $250.

Well it turns out they were selling that GHB crap and those other rave drugs. I think they got by with it for years.