Im 1/2 way there, LED 3rd brake light

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWINGRRRR

Joined May 15, 2007
Another stupid project for the truck. Its a LED 3rd brake light. This is the left half, obviously, and the right half with have the "O P"
This will all be hooked into a strobe controller that will alternate the flash when you hit the brakes.
I know its not the best soldering in the world, it has been several years since I used one.
Opinions please.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Well, you should not bridge the pads using solder only. The best way to bridge is using a solid corewire and two drops of solder for each connection to the wire (or you can cross the legs of adjacent LEDs and solder on top).

Also, you used the wrong type of board. You can use a seroboard (board with copper bands or strips) or boards with three hole pads (called a TriPad board, manufactured by Velleman, but not only). The last type is the best suited for your job. With these boards you don't need to bridge on the copper side.

See this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripboard

SWINGRRRR

Joined May 15, 2007
I still have to coat it using the liquid electrical tape. It works. I just touch the wires to my truck battery. I need the front part with the LED flat so you wont see components through the 3rd brake light plastic.

I dont understand what you are saying about the other board. If the strips run all the way across the board, then there is the possibility to run into a + coming up against a -.

O; and the legs are cut long, then bent down and soldered across, its just not the pad in between. When I do the second half, Ill take better pics.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I dont understand what you are saying about the other board. If the strips run all the way across the board, then there is the possibility to run into a + coming up against a -.
No, because you have the possibility to use different strips for + and -, but if you have to use the same trip for different nodes, you can cut the strip with a drill bit (normal procedure in case of stripboards). You wont have that problem at all with tripad board, since tha pads are separated, and each one contains three holes, which makes possible connecting different components and wiring through them.
Ill send a pic of one project made with a tripad board.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Ok. Here are the photos of my decoder circuit, which was made from a tripad board.

View attachment 996
Board back, where you can see the three-hole pads

View attachment 997
Board front, where you can see the driver chip used to drive the 7-segment display

View attachment 998
Yup, it actually works (yet)

View attachment 999
Now it is showing a 6

To light the numbers, I simply used 6 solder wires (rosin core), connected to a 5V power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.