Illustraing how a am/fm radio works with communication model

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by sean123, Mar 24, 2013.

1. sean123

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2013
    I have to illustrate how a radio works as a communication technology. And use the communication model to illustrate it.

This what I have so far

would the sender and encoder be the radio station, the channel would be radio waves, and the decoder is the radio antenna and the reciever would be anyone listening to the radio?

I need help translating the communication model into how a radio operates.

communication model
    [​IMG]

Radio transmition -this is suppose to be a simple model of how a radio works, right?
    [​IMG]

Oimo Molly Mesmin likes this.
  2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    That first diagram is almost to simplistic to use. There are several types of "encoding" and "decoding" that take place.

For the most basic radio system, the "encoding" is the modulation that is used. If you are trying to describe a "radio", I would put the "sender" as the microphone or whatever other device generates the baseband electrical signal. Similarly, the "receiver" would be the speaker or it's equivalent. The antennas are what couple the encoder and decoder to the channel, which is the air through which the EM waves travel.

3. sean123

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2013
    OK, kind of hard to understand the principle of how radio works but i will go with what you suggest.

thanks