I'll bet R!f@@ never has this problem!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Wow... That's pretty bad.

Worst we had in the UK was an intersection. My dad's car hit some black ice (basically this is ice which has frozen clear so you can barely see it, especially at night.) We hit the ice, slammed on the brakes to no effect, luckily the road ahead was clear because the only thing which would stop us was the handbrake, even then we ended up spun around in the middle of the intersection. So far that's the worse I've seen (and experienced, as I was in the car.)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Great memories. Let me guess, somewhere near Etna or Millvale? (Haven't been there in 13 years.) I walked up cardiac hill next to UPMC once when I was younger. It was like a rope climb.

John

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Wow... That's pretty bad.

Worst we had in the UK was an intersection. My dad's car hit some black ice (basically this is ice which has frozen clear so you can barely see it, especially at night.) We hit the ice, slammed on the brakes to no effect, luckily the road ahead was clear because the only thing which would stop us was the handbrake, even then we ended up spun around in the middle of the intersection. So far that's the worse I've seen (and experienced, as I was in the car.)
We call that Black Ice. We got it all the time when I lived in Dallas, TX and they cannot drive on ice in TX! Plus they do not have salt. They drop sand at strategic locations near intersections. If you need to stop and are not lucky enough to hit the sand, you are going spinning trough the intersection!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Great memories. Let me guess, somewhere near Etna or Millvale? (Haven't been there in 13 years.) I walked up cardiac hill next to UPMC once when I was younger. It was like a rope climb.

John

BeechView. Once years ago I came down a hill during a winter storm that is nearby this hill. I was creeping down the hill sliding all the way. A car went flying by me. I fully expected to see a pile of metal at the bottom of the hill as it empties into a very busy road.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We call that Black Ice. We got it all the time when I lived in Dallas, TX and they cannot drive on ice in TX! Plus they do not have salt. They drop sand at strategic locations near intersections. If you need to stop and are not lucky enough to hit the sand, you are going spinning trough the intersection!
They can't drive in rain either. The concept of slowing down is foriegn, as in must be French.

We also can't stand wasted space on the roads during rush hour (any hour). If there is room for a car to fit +6 inches a car will move in (without signals) to fill it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I remember the first time I tried to merge onto the LBJ in Dallas from one of those short little on ramps. Didn't think I would make it in one piece. :)

Eons ago, they were having trouble with people speeding. Uncle Sam was going to take his highway money away unless the state did something to get people so slow down. They had Willy Nelson doing a commercial asking people to low down. Later his limo was stopped doing 90+.

I like southern Texas. You get behind someone on a country road and they pull over letting you pass. I thought it was just the one person that maybe thought I was following too close until I saw everyone do it. Pretty cool.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
I like southern Texas. You get behind someone on a country road and they pull over letting you pass. I thought it was just the one person that maybe thought I was following too close until I saw everyone do it. Pretty cool.
are you sure they weren't reloading? :eek: ;)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
are you sure they weren't reloading? :eek: ;)
They might have been, but it is a common thing to do around here as well.

If you are on a back road, hunting, big load, other reason for going 15mph, when there's a car/truck behind you, it's common courtesy to go to one side of the road so they can get by.

The roads here are "2 lane" gravel roads, but everybody drives down the middle, especially when it's covered with snow or mud. The ditches fall off pretty steep in a lot of places. I guess it's just how/where you grew up.