Ignore List For Whole Threads?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by KJ6EAD, May 30, 2012.

1. KJ6EAD

Thread Starter Senior Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Is there a control panel setting that I can change to ignore not just posts by member name but also threads started by member name? Lately I've noticed that when I display new threads, a large number of far off-topic threads have been started and since most can be traced to a small number of members who rarely post anything in an on-topic category, I'd like to be able to ignore threads started by those members.

absf, shortbus, elec_mech and 3 others like this.
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
  3. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    That's unfortunate. It would be a useful feature. Perhaps a limit on the number of off-topic posts should be considered as an alternative. This is nominally an electronics forum and while I enjoy and participate in some off-topic threads, the use of the category as a de facto personal blog by some members is, in my opinion, excessive.

atferrari and BMorse like this.
  4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I see what you mean. It would be useful if we could sort the new threads by forum, or search for new posts with an empty query, but, alas, vBulletin doesn't include that feature.

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Hola Bertus,

In the last month, me too I've been wondering how could I have the result from "New posts" with posts from certain OP's not showing up there.

The closest I have been is using the ignore option but, we know, the threads still show up.

If no option, will learn to live with it. Life is too short.

7. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Why isn't this "new person" treated as a spammer? Even though not 'selling' anything other than himself, he's not contributing anything to the site. When other "persons" get wind of this, what happens to the sites quality of life and knowledge?

This is too great a place to be brought down by one!!

absf and BSomer like this.
  8. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Discussions are underway. Stay put.

KJ6EAD and Wendy like this.
  9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Actually the member isn't new, but the change in behavior is. Look at the profile. I've moved any postings under a year old to off topic.

And as Geo has said, we are discussing the problem. I've been here for almost 5 years, it is a first for me.

10. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    It may be the first. But not the last. The user is just trying to boost his internet reputation or hits then some is Googling him. By posting apparently normal threads in a popular forum. But these postings are nothing else but cut and paste from postings made by him in some other forums. Then people replay he even use cut and paste on the answers also. The whole thing is just ridiculous. If he keep on doing this scam tomorrow. He must be banned

11. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    It won't work. I know people who work for Google. They're not stupid.

The search code makes mincemeat of dishonest and gimmicky attempts to boost ratings. It does a pretty good job of ferreting out meaningful content but it takes some time to optimize like averaging a noisy reading on an oscilloscope. I believe it may even have some kind of scorn factor worked in. :D

12. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    When someone give there name ,birth date,age I would give that some consideration

in your actions,I don't know if this a smart legal move or not,just putting it out there.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  13. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    :confused:

DerStrom8 and shortbus like this.