Ignition Coils

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Tree1, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Some ignition coils are basically windings, however I've read that some coils are more than just windings; they have igniter circuits integrated inside a coil. How can I determine if an ignition coil has electronics inside of it by testing.

What type of ignition coils require a driver circuit?

Please me ...Thanks a Million

2. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    Most of the ignition coils you come across now are with a circuit. The ckt is required for high frequency switching, so that higher voltages are produced.

There are contacts that are switched electro-mechanically, those are without any ckts.

3. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks!

Could you look at this schematic and tell me if the coil might be electronic ??

4. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    if x6153and x6154 are mounted in a seperate enclosure as shown in the wiring dia then they are only coils without circuits.

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Older vehicles with a single coil, which was about 3" or so in diameter and 6-8" tall with a thick wire out the top, and a couple thinner wires connected to it are the standard "coil" referred to in vehicles prior to about the 90's.

Newer vehicles typically have "coil packs", which include the coil and ignition circuitry built in, and the entire unit plugs over the spark plug, or very near it. This allows a better controlled and "hotter" spark for each plug, at a higher initial cost for the ignition system. However, fuel economy and emissions are improved.

I didn't look at your circuit, as it is a .doc, please post attachments as .PDF for everybdoy's safety and happiness. Word files can have macro viruses, and not all of us run a Microsoft OS. Many use Linux or Apple with no Word program, but all OS can read PDF, even phones.

6. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks guys!!!! I'll try reposting in PDF format.

7. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Here is the PDF format...

8. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Those are "coil packs", though it isn't entirely clear if they have any additional control inside. They do show the driving transistors at the output of the ECU, so it would seem they are only coils with no extra circuitry inside.

Sometimes the coil packs are simply coils for each plug, this reduces the amount of EMI from long runs of high tension wire to each plug.

9. Tree1

Thread Starter Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I deeply appreciate the input guys!!! Thanks again...