Ignition coil setup

critopadolf

Joined Jul 6, 2014
http://www.amazing1.com/products/high-voltage-pulse-and-trigger-transformer-25kv-5j.html

I bought this small ignition coil and an electric flyswatter and i have been trying to run the transformer using the 300V AC output of the flyswatter's inverter.... but it isnt working, im new with this and i feel like im missing some component needed to run it... i just dont know what:confused::confused: also when i hook up the coil to the inverter and measure the voltage it goes from 300V to 9V...thanks

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You use it to charge a high voltage capacitor, and the CAP is triggered to discharge through the transformer.

Did you read the text in your link?

critopadolf

Joined Jul 6, 2014
"Use a 300 volt 1 mfd capacitor with sidac trigger for line direct operation or conventional inverter with SCR. 1" round by 1.25" long in fully potted enclosure".

what you are saying sounds right, i just saw that it said "or" and so i figured i could just use the inverter with a switch... so if its a 300V inverter and your suppose to put in 300V for the transformer, what kind of capacitor should i use that wont overload the transformer? along with what resisitor? i think one of the inverters outputs is 100V so what if i used that with a higher voltage capacitor or two 100V capacitors...whats the best way? also while im doing this, why do i need a capacitor?

critopadolf

Joined Jul 6, 2014
23 mA of is what the output is, if i just get a 100V capacitor with a 200V inverter output and a diode would that work fine??