Ignition coil setup

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by critopadolf, Jul 6, 2014.

1. critopadolf

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    http://www.amazing1.com/products/high-voltage-pulse-and-trigger-transformer-25kv-5j.html

I bought this small ignition coil and an electric flyswatter and i have been trying to run the transformer using the 300V AC output of the flyswatter's inverter.... but it isnt working, im new with this and i feel like im missing some component needed to run it... i just dont know what:confused::confused: also when i hook up the coil to the inverter and measure the voltage it goes from 300V to 9V...thanks

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    You use it to charge a high voltage capacitor, and the CAP is triggered to discharge through the transformer.

Did you read the text in your link?

3. critopadolf

Jul 6, 2014
    "Use a 300 volt 1 mfd capacitor with sidac trigger for line direct operation or conventional inverter with SCR. 1" round by 1.25" long in fully potted enclosure".

what you are saying sounds right, i just saw that it said "or" and so i figured i could just use the inverter with a switch... so if its a 300V inverter and your suppose to put in 300V for the transformer, what kind of capacitor should i use that wont overload the transformer? along with what resisitor? i think one of the inverters outputs is 100V so what if i used that with a higher voltage capacitor or two 100V capacitors...whats the best way? also while im doing this, why do i need a capacitor?

4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Here is a sidac circuit from the web.

Discharge at 125v, but that should be a start.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Your electronic flyswatter likely doesn't have enough output power to drive the ignition coil impedance.

6. critopadolf

Jul 6, 2014
    23 mA of is what the output is, if i just get a 100V capacitor with a 200V inverter output and a diode would that work fine??

7. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    A 250 to 300 V cap. would be better