Ignition Coil & Arcs

quicksilver

Joined Mar 6, 2008
I have a few questions about using automobile ignition coils and drawing arcs...

As I understand it ignition coils are not "true" transformers. They are made to function with DC and therefore need interruption in the form of a manual (relay) or IC (a 555 chip) to display any arc. Is this the case or could AC be used?

The design is one of high current input; what would result from high voltage & low current to the out put (& displayed arc/spark)?

The purpose of a capacitor (condenser) would be to allow the spark to "halt & perhaps filter" momentarily and to limit the wear of the contacts.....is there any formula on it's design? I believe that .1uF would be enough to accomplish this. Am I incorrect?

Seeing as they are oil filled, I would imagine they are tough but to what level? I that I would want to make a small display of their spark making ability; what would be some of the limits of their power handling ability?

Thanks in advance: I know this is a lot of material but I am wondering if anyone has experimented with them & their observations.

triggernum5

Joined May 4, 2008
Your basic theory seems rudimentally correct, but it sounds like you need to bone up on basic RLC and magnetism theory to actually understand what you're saying.. Most of your other questions really depend on purpose and component properties.. Reading it is one thing, but then it takes a while for it to really sink in and make sense..
BE CAREFUL with capacitors and high voltage!!! Ignition coils aren't really that dangerous.. Neither are capacitors.. But put the two together and you have a lethal combo..