IGBT Transistor -How to conect

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tomata, Jan 7, 2011.

1. tomata

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 24, 2010
    IGBT Transistor HGTG30N60B3D Fairchild 600V 60A Datasheet http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/HG/HGTG30N60B3D.pdf

I have this transistor and i need to connect a load that i can control it by a function generator.I used to have a car relay but contacts coudnt handle.
    How can i do this ? Here i have a drawing i made showing some more details.
    Thanks

2. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    This looks very dangerous. The circuit you posted shows a 200V supply. From the question that you have asked, it is clear that this subject is new to you.

I really cannot recommend this sort of experiment for a beginner. Could you please explain in more detail what you are trying to do, in particular what is the 200V supply, and what is the resistance you are trying to drive?

Without knowing more about what you are doing, I feel that it would be dangerous to advise you on this matter.

3. tomata

Dec 24, 2010
    Thanks for the reply and for keeping me safe :D
    Basically i am trying to understand circuits/electronics and now looking on the IGBT how i can connect it to work.This circuit is a 200vdc supply that charge a capacitor and the capacitor discharge on a coil.

4. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    I still think that this is not a suitable project for a beginner. A 200V power supply is capable of causing a fatal electric shock.

Can you show more details of your capacitor charge / discharge circuit, and explain what it is for? Are you attempting to produce even higher voltages than 200V?

5. tomata

Dec 24, 2010
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me and explaining to me how this transistor work.

Iam stepping down from high voltage 7kv to a spark gap to hv diodes to a isolation transformer and from the secondary to FWBR to load some capacitors.

Anyway i found someone who was willing to help me on this and show me how these little creatures with a name "IGBT" can work.One example is in the picture if you like to know too.

6. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    You can use a 12V or 24V power supply instead of 200V and still investigate the IGBT operation.

7. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009