If the universe is expanding...

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If the universe came from a big bang - a burst of energy into the vacuum state, then it has an infinite distance to expand into. Matter sort of makes a metric as it goes.

Current cosmology has us on the verge of being in an open universe (infinite expansion), a closed universe (the collapse of everything into a singularity).

That is really a restatement of the classic "how far is up?" question.

we're all doomed.
Of course. From John Fowles - "I am is: I was not; I will not be; I shall not be." How's that for impending doom?

Last edited:

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
we're all doomed.
Well, of course we are. From conception we are dropped into battle between forces that are motivated to help us thrive and many more that are to break us back down to atoms.

I don't know about all that big bang action, seems like an appeal to the creationists. But what I generally do to save my brain from melting is conceed that maybe our (or at least my own) minds are just not set up to understand it, as hard as we try.

So, I'm stickin' with... 42

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually the Big Bang theory is the best fit for the facts, not a religious point of view. If something else comes along that is a better fit then it will take over. This is how science works.

I find the fact that it comes close to how creation is described (minus time scale) interesting. Reminds me of a story by Issac Asimov where Moses completely accurate history of the universe was cut down from several thousand pages to only a few by his publisher (sounded like personal experience with a publisher to me).

There is still a lot of data collection to be done though, if we find some unexpected sources of matter we might live in a closed cyclic universe, otherwise it is the heat death in 100 billion years (give or take).

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The universe is expanding toward another universe. Eventually they will collide and the gravitational fluxes will pull them ever more dense untill the two become one and "Big bang" again.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If it could touch another universe, they would be in the same universe. Touching implies they are in the same physical area. A current thought amount physicists is membranes, or branes for short, the interdimensional space between the universes. When two universes touch, they cancel.

iulian28ti

Joined Dec 4, 2009
The universe is expanding toward another universe. Eventually they will collide and the gravitational fluxes will pull them ever more dense untill the two become one and "Big bang" again.
Holy shoot ! This is the same thing i was thinking.
It is only normal that mutual gravitational attraction will have such an effect.
I drew that about 2 years ago. You only have to extrapolate in 3D and there you'll have the answer to the question professional scientists are asking for decades "How is that possible?"

Attachments

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
[ed]
Im using 'universe' as a name not a description. I.e. you live in "bills house" not you live in "the house"
Universe was named Universe with the thought that there was only uni(one)
[/ed]

If it could touch another universe, they would be in the same universe. Touching implies they are in the same physical area. A current thought amount physicists is membranes, or branes for short, the interdimensional space between the universes. When two universes touch, they cancel.
My point exactly. The "two sheets on a parallel laundry line". The sheets wave in sequence untill something disrupts one and causes it to hit the other. The multiverse seems more logical to me. Quantum physics allows one particle to be in more that one place at a time. Not only does it say its possible, it says it HAS to be. Therefore each moving particle, having small amount of gravity, eventually they will collect.

then again, i'm a carpenter for a reason.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
iulian28ti I was writing as you were posting. You were thinking my thought. Particles from the big bang were "banging" elsewhere.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Actually an astroid will destroy all advanced life on earth way before earthworms turn into earthworm jim, and long before the sun goes supernova. We actually due now for a big impact.

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
True dat Bill!

Neutrinos are potentially treacherous, one day they won't be satisfied with just 'passing through' and start taking chunks with them...

Total annihilation in about .0000001 seconds.

And don't try and get all 'educated' or 'scientific' on me, the thought came to me in a vision at exactly 2:28:02 PM which when you reduce to 24hr time, is 14:28:02 subtracting the 02 from the front gives you 12, and 14 goes into 28 twice, and reversing the seconds makes 20. So, it's painfully obvious that I am completely correct since it all points to this happening december 12th, 2012.

If, for some reason, you fail to see my logic, simply conceed that you're wrong anyways and VISA AMEX MC Diner's Club or paypal $495.00 (380.00 EU) at www.antineutrinorepulsionbandanakit.com

I will also soon be offering pet versions as well.

Thank you for your time and don't be thrifty, choose life!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
But asteroids are like buses, you can wait for aeons for one, then three come along at once.
Yah, russians are predicting a planet killer on 2033. So far their the only ones that are going to try to do something about it. Funny thing is an astroid is the most dangerous thing the human race faces yet we put almost 0 dollars into prevention. Yet we know for a fact we will get hit, and we know for a fact it will wipe out all advanced life on earth.