ieee paper images external source

tarun31

Joined Jan 11, 2012
Hi Guys,

I wanted to find out if i am using an image from a source in the web in my paper which i intend to submit to an ieee conference should i cite it in my reference section?

Thanks,
Tarun

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You could always pretend it's yours.

But that would be unethical.

Edit: Normally, there would be a caption at the bottom of the image that says something like "Image courtesy of ..."

Edit2: Also, the image owner may or may not be thrilled with you copying and distributing the image without his/her/its permission.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you use it and you did not create it, then you should cite it.

But just because you cite it does not make it okay to use it.

If you can get permission of the owner of the image, that is the best thing to do. I would recommend not saying, "courtesy of" unless you have that permission or find something that indicates that your use of the image is authorized by the owner. It's best if you can say, "Image courtesy of xxx, used with permission."

You may still be able to use the image if it meets certain "fair use" criteria. A big part of that determination rests on what your purpose is in using the image, what the impact is on the image owner, how much of their work you are using, and what your alternatives were.