IEC Rocker Switch Inlet Wiring

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Falafel Flop, May 12, 2015.

1. Falafel Flop

Thread Starter New Member

May 12, 2015
    Hi All!

First I'd like to introduce myself. I'm from the east coast USA and about a year agoI got into R/C heli's. My needs are about to expand beyond my equipment for charging so I decided to build my own charging station.

Everything you see here will have divider lengthwise across the bottom, and 1/8" acrylic will be mounted above the whole setup where there will be three sets of these installed for the chargers to connect to (through the bullet connectors on the converted server power supplies) .

[​IMG]

The whole set up as of now is this:

[​IMG]

Imagine a 60mm 12v intake fan on the right and an exhaust fan on the left (both where the fan grills are located). They will be soldered directly to one supply each (the supply outputs produce 24v combined, but if the fans are connected directly to the PSU, it will be just below [12v] input max [13.5v operational, rated at 12v] on the fans).

So this is what I want to connect:

[​IMG]

Close up of the front:

[​IMG]

and the back:

[​IMG]

I have minimal experience with all of this so I only know a bit and want to make sure I wire it correctly (I outsourced the work on the power supplies). I planned on using quick connects originally, but I'm not sure how I would incorporate the rocker when wiring. As you can see, neutral is on the right and live is on the left (looking at the back). The [On] position is on the same side as the live on the inlet.

So, how do I connect the power cord to the inlet while incorporating the rocker? This is basically the last piece in the puzzle.

Link to the exact inlet I'm using

Thanks in advance! Once everything is together, I'll post pics

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It appears to be a DP switch so take the ground conductor straight to the GND pin and the 120v in will go to the top pair, and the bottom pair go to the L & N observing the polarity from input side of the switch to the out.
    I am assuming from your comments that the output of the switch is the bottom pair?
    I would make solder connections.
    Max.

3. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    it is also an AC switch/power port outlet and may have a short life if used in a 24 volt DC circuit.

4. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    It is a double-pole, double-throw rocker, so there is no explicit input or output pair. You have two options. Most people use option a, but there is no UL rule against option b:

a) Run a short wire from the Line terminal straight across to the closest switch terminal and run a longer wire from the Neutral terminal diagonally across and down to the lower left switch terminal. In this case, AC out to the power supplies comes from the switch's upper terminal pair.

b) Run a wire from the Neutral terminal straight across to the upper right switch terminal and run a wire from the Line terminal diagonally up and across to the upper left switch terminal. In this case, AC out to the power supplies comes from the switch's lower terminal pair.

As max said, pay attention to the routing of Line and Neutral through the switch to the power supplies. In the power supply line cords, black or brown are Line, white or blue are Neutral, and green or green/yellow is earth ground. It goes to the center right terminal.

ak

5. Falafel Flop

May 12, 2015
    Okay so this is what you're saying?

[​IMG]

and Max is giving option B, is that correct? The power supply line has black, white and green cords.

The DC is only output from the power supply, so I don't think this is an issue. Did I overlook something and order the wrong inlet?

6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    my bad, i read it as though you were switching your multiple output terminals via this switch. very acceptable choice for power input.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    As long as you keep the white switched through to the N side and the black through to the L side, as already covered it does not really matter which side, top/bottom of the switch is pwr in etc.
    Usually it is a concern for illuminated or fused switches.
    Max.

8. Falafel Flop

May 12, 2015
    Okay, so my second drawing had polarity (black and white) mixed up but the first was correct. And I misspoke, it seems you were referring to option A. Thanks for the help!

9. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Your drawing labeled A is just fine.

Ron

10. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Yup.