Identifying Components/Circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Ric, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Ric

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Hey there,

Firstly I apologise if this is in the wrong section but hopefully it's not :)

I've been trying to figure out a circuit based on images of it someone has posted online as I'd like to do something similar. Unfortunately they are not the clearest images so I haven't been able to get any details from them (IC Numbers). There is also a video showing the circuit in action so I'm very much hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction as to what components are being used.

I've tried asking the author of the above but unfortunately it was done a few years ago and I am yet to get a response.

Thanks in advance for any help.

May 26, 2009
    I bet it's the 555 timer, perhaps.
  3. Ric

Jun 23, 2009
    I was wondering that at first, then I thought it could be an Op Amp but that means the grey component which I initially thought was a capacitor would be a tone generator or melody generator as I've seen them called.

From my some what limited knowledge of electronics (an A-level several years ago has mostly been forgotten, sadly) if the op-amp's frequency had been adjusted to slow down the flashing LED's then wouldn't that affect the audio output too?

Edit: I might have answered my own question here, I've just stumbled across a PICAXE-08M Chip
    I believe that might answer my question as according to: (second one down) it can also control 2 LED's
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Based on the video it's definitely a micro controller of some sort. You could probably use just about any general purpose 8 pin micro controller to make a project similar. But you'd have to be able to program it.
  5. Ric

Jun 23, 2009
    I've decided to follow up with the Picaxe chip as after some reasearch it looks pretty easy to program and should be fairly easy to do what I need. Thanks again for your help.