identifying a computer?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I know the mac address uniquely identifies a nic card. ( other then using software to temporarily spoof)

But I am wondering if their is anything that identifies a computer uniquely.
For instance you cann't use the mac address since somebody can remove the nic card and put in another one.

The bios firmware can be updated so you don't have anything I can think of in the bios.

Their are serial numbers and product keys but those can be scratched off the computer case.

I am wondering if their is a unquie way of identifying a computer based on a chemical tested (like a dna test or something). Something that would allow a computer to be uniquely identified under the stipulation the person can only replace computer components and software but not smash into pieces....etc
Has to be a workable computer.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
well the processor id doesn't unquiely identify a computer.
And what happens if you changed the processor or motherboard?

I guess their is no real true way of knowing.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
For some quite useful information, get and run Aida32 - http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html

I was volunteering for a school that got 18 computers from a federal source. The hard drives were very well scrubbed. We could get W98 installed on a computer, and then Aida32 gave us the internal hardware so we could find drivers on the net.

No good for positive ID, but very useful for finding drivers.