Identify a part

welkin87

Joined Nov 18, 2010
Hey guys, my space heater won't turn on and I found the problem (when I do get it to run, it runs perfectly). It seems to be the main push button switch (you can see below between the 2 green capacitors). It has four terminals and you push it multiple times to cycle through temp settings and so forth.

Can any of you tell me what kind of switch this is so I can find one to replace it? I searched a little bit but there are so many out there and I figured some of you very experienced guys might know. Thanks a lot!
(If you need a clearer picture, let me know)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is a "tactile" switch. It would be a good idea to use a meter to see if it is still working. The failure is more likely to be in the circuit it controls.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Is it me or ur photo really sucks...
Why can't you see for ur self and post a focused picture.

Besides I think there are cracks in the PCB

welkin87

Joined Nov 18, 2010
@ beenthere: Thanks a lot! I'll double check to make sure.

@ R!f@@: That's an amazing observation. It does suck and that's why I offered to post a clearer picture if someone needed it (aka you, apparently). And yes, there is a crack in the board but I've checked it myself and it's not gonna affect the performance of the circuit. Thanks for all your help though.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Those switchesare fairly reliable. Personaly i wouldnt buy on as there are plenty avalable for free on every VCR or TV that you scrap.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
@ R!f@@: That's an amazing observation. It does suck and that's why I offered to post a clearer picture if someone needed it (aka you, apparently). And yes, there is a crack in the board but I've checked it myself and it's not gonna affect the performance of the circuit. Thanks for all your help though.
Where's the pic.

The PCB cracks will lead to track cuts. Didn't u know tht?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Those tactile switches are almost invariably SPST with two legs on each pole...for stronger mounting. As someone said, use an ohmmeter to check its continuity when pushed.
...my space heater won't turn on and I found the problem (when I do get it to run, it runs perfectly).
Are you saying that if you posh it enough times it will turn-on and step through the settings OK? Or if it turns-on, it won't step through with subsequent pushes?

Ken

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I highly doubt the switch is the problem, especially if it makes a 'click' when you push it.

That switch cannot carry anything near the mount of current the heater elements require. There should be relays or MOSFETs on another board somewhere. The controller could be a "black dot" on the back of the board, but that would still drive external relays or transistors.

Please post clear photos of both sides of the board and we maybe can get you going.