Identify A Capacitor - Help

Phsion

Joined Mar 10, 2009
Hi all. I need some help identifying a capacitor. Its out of a Crest Audio HP-8/32 Mixing Console. It is a surface mount Aluminum can capacitor, with 3 lines of markings. The first is '[a square symbol] 4U', then the second line is '47', and the third line is '35v'. I figured it was a 47uF capacitor rated at 35 volts. So i bought some, but they are larger, slightly (but enough so they cover the PCB's contacts). The capacitors i bought are Rubycon, marked 'UIC' 47 35v. Any idea what the [Square symbol] 4U means, and where i can find this online? Thanks.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Value and voltage are correct.

The letters that are different is the code each manufacturer uses to denote temperature rating, ESR, size, mount, and other special features.

This site is a little hard to read, since it's in japanese with a bit of English, but if you pick the type of capacitor, then click the pink "L", it gives you a list of manufacturers, and a sample image of one of their caps.

http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/

None of the codes are really standardized between manufacturers, which makes it a bit more difficult.

Since you have Very Good caps (Rubycon) Try to make them work. Just make sure they aren't "Rulycon", a taiwanese blatant ripoff of inferior quality, but look the same at a glance/distance. :mad:

Phsion

Joined Mar 10, 2009
Unfortunately, I can't get a good picture of the capacitor...It looks exactly like the Rubycon surface mount capacitor, just slightly smaller. The capacitor itself is round and silver, with the left side of the top of the capacitor (next to the markings) painted black to mark positive. The base is that trapezoid shape, with the positive side cut straight, and the negative side cut, so its tapered slightly. So i know enough to know that I don't really know what i'm doing, and i know that what i AM doing isn't the best idea, but i believe it should work. I have simply soldered some 24awg wire onto the capacitor and then soldered that to the PCB (there is plenty of room to pull off these stunts). Obviously i don't really like this but i need to get this thing up and running, and the Manufacturers repair cost is equal to what i paid for it.

Anyhow, back to the real question: So how would i go about finding a decent replacement part if I can't figure out the manufacturer? Should i go buy a decent set of calipers, and then sort through data sheets to find a part that fits? I purchased the Rubycons at Amazon (strangly enough) from Garrett's Electrical store (or something like that). Can anyone recommend a good website to find components, which I don't need to buy in bulk orders of 10,000? I end up fixing a lot of things, and generaly only need a few of any givin part (i don't mind buying lots of a hundred, since the price is only about $.10 per). Thanks for all the help.

thatoneguy - Thanks for the info...i looked on that website, but every surface mount Aluminum Elec. capacitor looks the same to me...and I didn't see anything marked with a '4U' code. As far as i can tell, generaly a letter code means voltage, but the voltage on the capacitor in question is clearly marked already...

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you're in the U.S., Mouser Electronics and Digi-Key have extensive line of SMD components, and are reasonable in single quantities. Panasonic is a good manufacturer for quality capacitors. The capacity and voltage ratings are the thing to worry about, unless these are involved with a switcher supply. Then obtaining a cap with a low ESR rating is important.

Phsion

Joined Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply beenthere. I just looked at the Mouser website, and it looks good to me...I'm good with the Capacity and Voltage ratings...its just the physical size thats screwing with me...i guess its off the the hardware store to get some calipers. Thanks for all the help.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
That site is mostly for reference on what different manufacturer logos look like when printed on caps.

I was going to guess the square was a Chm-con cap, Hitachi uses a square on their non-SMD caps, but it is a circle/crosshair on the surface mount. However, Chem-Con codes don't match a "4U"

The "4U" is basically the same as "UIC", Except different, if that makes sense. The "4U" Code describe size, ESR, temperature range, and the "UIC" describes those same things. Except size is slightly different, ESR or temp rating differences are unknown. As long as the new one is the right tmperature range and relatively low ESR, it will work fine. Rubycon makes great caps.