Ideas needed, remote switch project.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Tatuus, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Tatuus

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and i have a lot to learn about electronics.

I have an understanding of circuit principles having designed and built a wiring loom for an aeroplane. However, I have virtually no experience of electronics or circuit boards.

My project may be difficult to explain but i'll give it a try.

What i'd ultimately like to achieve is to be able to provide a power penalty to racing vehicles remotely. The vehicle side of things will be the least difficult for me as I plan on either earthing the coil or designing a form of throttle limiter. I would earth the coil with the use of a relay. So that the vehicle doesn't stall I am thinking of using a flashing relay from a car indicator circuit.

I'd like to activate this relay remotely using a form of transmitter and receiver. My only experience of this is RC cars. I could activate the relay using the mechanical movement of a servo but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution. Does anyone know if a four stroke engine's electrics would interfere with the signal?

The other thing I would like to do is give this penalty for different periods of time. For instance, I would like to be able to press a button for a 1 second penalty and another button for a 5 second penalty.

I hope all of this is possible and that i've explained it all clearly enough. Thanks for any help you can give me, even if it's just a suggestion for a good source of information.

Ricky

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey Welcome

I am afraid you need to give more details about what the vehicle is. As this forum has strict guidelines.
    Better to read the rules thoroughly.

3. Tatuus

Jan 5, 2011
    Sorry, I must've missed that.

Initially Karts using simple lawnmower-style engines but I'm hoping to apply the idea to other vehicles if my idea works.
    Karts have a very simple ignition circuit that makes an electronic engine cut very easy.

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    As long as you don't mess with original vehicles, then your ideas can be discussed.

5. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Enable your PM option before it's too late. This thread may be accepted by the Mods but it also may not. For sure, this will be a fun project that many members would like to help you with via PM; so act quickly! On the other hand; if your a commercial enterprise you may want to consider insurance issues regarding home brewing this. Commercial cart tracks already have radio controlled kill switches.
    EDIT: By the way; you don't want an ignition kill switch, you want a throttle lockout to put it in idle condition. If you kill it for 5 seconds how are you going to restart it? Get my point?

6. Tatuus

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I think i've enabled my PM now.

To be honest, I hadn't considered any commercial implications. I'm just trying to understand how I could do this to try out an idea I've had that this kind of system.

If there is a system out there that does this already i'd be happy to try and buy it and try my idea out.

The only existing product I can find is a complete cut out for safety reasons. I do not want to stop the engine, merely want give it a kind of rev limiter for a short period of time.

I'm sorry for my naivety but why wouldn't this kind of discussion be allowed?
    Perhaps I can allay any fears of wrong doing.

7. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    You can discuss up to some extent concerning vehicle modifications. But we do not allow practical approaches via forum.

Let's start the discussion and see what happens

8. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Yes, that's what I figured. Anyway, commercial cart tracks employ, both, remote ignition kill and throttle limit. They use the remote throttle control when the number of laps that the customer paid for has been completed, or if they have a problem customer and want to coax him into the garage. They simply push a button and the cart goes into idle mode.

I would imagine that this is being accomplished by a solenoid connected to the throttle linkage. Off the top of my head I can think of a conceptual method but I'll have to draw it for you. Are you good at metal fabrication that can be accomplished with Hacksaws, drills, files and a vice for bending? You will have to take the concept and modify it to your exact linkage scheme.

9. Tatuus

Jan 5, 2011
    Thankyou for the suggestions, the fabrication side of things is my strong point.
    I've got a few ideas myself on mechanically limiting the throttle but would not know what type of servo or solenoid to use. The system I think would need the least powerful kit would be a rotating cam taking up slack in the inner cable. I don't know if a rc servo would be up to the job.

Do you know if there is another, more reliable wireless control method than rc car rx/tx?
    All I can think of is car alarms, garage door openers and rc cars.

Also, any ideas on a kind of timer to control how long the penalty lasts with just one button press? Can this be done electronically?

Thanks again for your reply

10. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    The timer is going to be the easiest and most covered topic here. Deciding what you're going to use as the transmitter - receiver (it must be a coded signal) and electromechanical interface (solenoid or servo) is going to be the big question. Before you spend too much time on this please do research on what commercial cart tracks are using. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble to re-invent the wheel.

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    One go kart track around here uses a digital radio system. Over 50 cars, about 20 on the track at a given time, and one "board" to shut down the cars. This is done over the same frequency, just different IDs for each car receiver. Options are limiting throttle, idling engine, and engine kill (needs manual cord-pull restart).

It is a "plug and play" commercial system, so I don't have the details/schematics on it, but thought I'd share that tidbit.

12. Tatuus

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks for that, i'm still searching the internet for that kind of system but am having no luck. Do you know the name of the place? Perhaps I could contact them to see what system they use.

I am now looking into controlling the system with a pc. I'd like to be able to write some software that can recognize certain inputs and send out a signal to 8-10 different servos to put them all in different positions. I could do this buy connecting 8-10 transmitters to the pc but I was hoping to find one device that can act as a transmitter to all of the receivers for each servo at once. I've found products like this one:
    http://www.rapidonline.com/Educatio...w/70-4202?source=googleps&utm_source=googleps

However, I can't see if these would be able to send the right frequencies needed to talk to rc car type receivers. Anyone have any ideas of what I could use to send analogue signals to 10 different rc car receivers ei, 27 or 75Mhz?
    Thanks

13. Tatuus

Jan 5, 2011
  14. jason 77

Jul 27, 2009
    Can someone tell me where I can find that rule in writing, I tried looking for it in the FAQ and terms of service "tabs" but didn't see it...

15. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Start a thread about modifying vehicle harness and wait for it.

16. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    It's a sticky in general electronics chat.

Automotive Guidelines and Rules Thread

17. jason 77

Jul 27, 2009
  18. Tatuus

Jan 5, 2011
    Just heard back from these guys. Although their products are very close to what I want, they are only designed for safety and not designed for continuous speed limiting.

They seem interested in what I'm doing and think they could adapt their system for electric Karts to suit my needs. Going to to keep talking to them to see if we can make something work in the future.

I'm back to looking for a simple bit of hardware that I can plug into my pc that will allow me to communicate with rc receivers over 27 or 75Mhz frequency.