Ideas for wiring 8-pin switch in parallel?

Hyfromatriac

Joined Aug 9, 2014
Hi all, I am putting together a project which has 4 LED strips and a Push button switch which I am connecting to a 12v Car Battery. Only problem is the resistance of the switch is absolutely killing the brightness of the LED's. I thought by wiring the circuit in parallel instead of series I might be able to retain the brightness more. Firstly, is this accurate thinking? Secondly the switch is an 8pin DPDT Backlit Metal switch and I cannot work out how to wire it in parallel to the Battery and LED's. Any ideas? Pictures of the switch and pins below.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Can you show a schematic? Draw with MS Paint. Or draw it on paper and take a picture with a smartphone.

Not sure what you mean by connecting the switch in parallel. Normally switches are wired in series with the load.

Also, I am curious as to how the LEDs are wired.

By the way, the top picture looks like the power to the load first passes through the illuminating LED. This would cause your load to be dim.

williamj

Joined Sep 3, 2009
There is only one set of contacts in the switch so there is only one way to wire it. The 12v is only for the embedded light within the switch. The dashed rectangle indicates the switch's mechanics (opening/closing the switch and turning the light on/off). The empty slots in the lower portion of the switch show where a second set of switch contacts could be located.

upload_2015-6-24_8-36-36.png

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
That is not a normal, simple switch, but you know that already. Manufacturer? Part number? Datasheet? Free advice requires information.

ak