Ideas for projects with some parts I found

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by silman, Jul 17, 2014.

1. silman

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    I recently got a hold of one of those old rabbit ear antennas with the circular antenna on it as well. I was wondering if there are any fun projects I can hack it into? I was thinking maybe something like a long range pirate radio? Or a PA system broadcast through out my house? What frequency do these things usually brostcsst on?

I have also come across 10 capacitors rated at 400V and 2700uF each.
    What are some fun projects that I can do involving these?
    I know about rail guns and coil guns, but I don't know the difference between them really and I don't know where a good source for instructions on building one. Where is a good source on building rail and coil guns?

Also what other things can I do with these? I don't need to use all 10 at the same time, that's A LOT of power and even one of these is dangerous and could kill if used improperly. But I do want to make use of at least some of these Ina cool project.

I don't need to use the antenna and capacitors together in the same projecr, but I would love to make use of these neat things in some project. I have an arduino if one of your giys' suggestions requires a microcontroller.

2. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    This thread will likely be locked because you mentioned electromagnetic projectile accelerators, which is a ToS violation on this forum.

So there are probably no applications for those caps that will fit within the ToS, voltage is too high and capacitance is too low to be of any use in an audio amp and the like.

Do NOT even think about any pirate radio stuff, this is illegal and will get you into deep trouble, in sweden the restriction of non licensed broadcasting is 50 nanowatts, such as these car cigarette plug wireless mp3 players,

3. silman

Jul 13, 2012
    I can't edit my original post for some reason or else i would take out the TOS violations.

There HAS to be some other uses for these caps and antenna. Why else would they make these caps?

4. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    Its just that any projects using the kinda voltages those caps are rated to are generally within restricted topics in the ToS, such as transformerless power supplies, electromagnetic projectile accelerators, tesla coils and such.

As for the antenna, you can use it to watch tv, like its intended for.

5. silman

Jul 13, 2012
    Wow, the hacker community is completely dead on these forums. I am a little disappointed.

"As for the antenna, you can use it to watch tv, like its intended for." are you kidding me? What happened to the days of tinkering with things to make them do other, more interesting stuff?

You've really discouraged me from exploring the world of electronics.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Well, he may have done you a favor since the things you mentioned "exploring" are either dangerous, illegal, or both.

You might look into making a Jacob's ladder with your rabbit ears. Even those are dangerous. Not sure if they're banned here or not.

7. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    thats not electronics but high voltage electrical.

It is highly dangerous. Believe me, even if you are skilled, you are still in danger, because you have to apply a lot of discipline, and be alert all the time.

If you only slightly doubt you can handle that, the best is, dispose it discretely, or sell it off.

I made a short with 400v triphase once and it caused an explosion with wires just vaporizing. Still scares me. It is not 230v or 110v, absolutely not the same. the voltage is much higher, and the current also is much higher, so you get small explosions, not to speak if you touch it.

2700uF at 400 volts- you have no clue what a bang you get from a short. You could get a metal splinter shoot into your eye it could even pierce cheap googles. OK maybe you do because you used this technology before.

But even if a lot of Ambitionists use such technology for hobby purpose, it is not normally sold to end customers, and never for hobby purpose in a retail shop.

wayneh likes this.
  8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    All true. Shouldn't have brought it up.
    Not long I ago I intentionally shorted a big cap in a TV power supply, so that I knew it was OK to work on it. Even though the TV had sat without power for days, that cap popped like a firecracker when I put a screwdriver across it. Scared everybody in the house, none more than me.