Ideas for a project

lynad

Joined Jan 2, 2013
Hi Everyone
I want to start a mini project but i am out of ideas, can anyone help me or give me the necessary pointers.Thanks

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
How about building a constant current supply from AC input? I'm working on something similar, but you can find another way to do it. You may make the current output adjustable.:cool:

lynad

Joined Jan 2, 2013
How about building a constant current supply from AC input? I'm working on something similar, but you can find another way to do it. You may make the current output adjustable.:cool:
OK, this looks interesting, how can i get started?

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
OK, this looks interesting, how can i get started?
In my miniproject, I'm using four constant current supplies. See the thread LED based sun simulator started by me in this forum for details. :D
This is the schematic:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50401&d=1357152795

It uses the LM317 voltage regulator as a current source. This is because the voltage between pins 2 and 3 of the regulator will always be 1.25V for the IC's range of inputs (2V to 37V usually, see the datasheet).

The constant current supply is achieved by simply placing a resistor R between the terminals. So constant current, I=1.25Volts/R.
This is simple, but you can change this to get an adjustable supply. You may use switched resistors, or a pot for continuous variation. Keep in mind that accuracy is important. For high voltage drop across the LM317, the IC needs a heat sink. You can make suitable modifications to this as well. Based on current range, you'll have to select the transformer, the diodes for the rectifier etc. Filtering is also important here, large ripples can cause problems.