ideas for a non isolated 240v 400-800w led driver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by drspastic, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drspastic

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 1, 2013
    i am looking for a design for a minimum component count buck converter for a special (and triple insulated) led lighting unit. the ideal circuit will rectify mains to 400v then chop it up at around 60-200khz and smooth it with no magnetic components. the output voltage must remain reasonably stable at an adjustable 80-150v at 4-8 Amps. there should be feedback from an ntc thermistor rather than constant current. temperature above 60c should automatically reduce power. mains side power factor correction is not needed as there will be several units back to back. its off grid but still running true sine wave 240v.
    components need to be the most common world available parts such as 555 timers, standard mass use mosfets, etc and several mosfets can run in parallel. i repeat that this is a fully insulated unit and there should be no magnetics, high value capacitors, high cost or rare components. all must be off the shelf stuff or pull from scrap so the units can be built anywhere in the world without ordering overseas.

fusing and trips are already catered for. suggestions or complaints about safety are not welcome, nor are suggestions outside the above brief. no flames, no trolls, no "electronics police" type comments PLEASE!

best idea wins a prize
  2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Good luck with this thread. I should win a prize for posting before this gets locked

Not interesting enough though
  3. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Complaints may not be welcome, but you will not get help here -- regardless of the "prize".
  4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009

Wins the second prize. Congrats.
  5. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.
    You managed even to have a double violation.

6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.