Ideas for a moving sensor?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ssolitare, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ssolitare

Thread Starter Member

Nov 29, 2010
    So I want this proximity sensor that I am making to move up and down vertically.

My initial idea would be to attach the sensor to a belt that rolls.

What are some other methods?

2. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    you could use an array of them spaced evenly and read through a multiplexer to have a quicker response.

3. ssolitare

Thread Starter Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Yessir that's the way that I will actually do it, but i'm curious about a moving one as well.

4. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    Then Simple belt and pulley can be used with a dc motor. Here you could connect two sensors diagonally opposite to each other, so that you could coverage is more. use limit switch to switch the direction from home to mid point positions.

5. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    Adding this kind of mechanical gadget can introduce a bunch of problems, notably poor reliability. Remember that you would need to get power to / signal from the detector, and also track its position.

What benefit would you expect to get over a set of fixed detectors - cost?

6. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I assume you mean that the 'detected object' is moving up and down vertically, not the Sensor?

7. ssolitare

Thread Starter Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Nada, but I was curious about an alternative method for the sake of it.

And CD, the sensor would be.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You could make a bigger sensor...loop type, and move nothing and multiplex nothing. Depends on what you are detecting. Marbles or people?

9. ssolitare

Thread Starter Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Egh lets say a random object like a cup. I never read anything about loop sensors though.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You aren't telling much, so I'll just start copying out of the book:

Capacitance relays, Doppler effect proximity detector, loaded oscillator proximity detector, field excited proximity detector, light beam detectors (visible or not), magnetic detectors (if the cup is metal)...

11. ssolitare

Thread Starter Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Oh okay, I am familiar with those types of sensors.

The loop sensor interested me because you said that I didn't need multiple sensors or moving parts, so I was just wondering what it was about.

12. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    Hey, do you have any interest in having a CCD camera and then working on object detection logic.